Not happy with Wells Fargo for my half dumping

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Not happy with Wells Fargo for my half dumping

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Granted there are many branches of Wells Fargo where I live, but I am very unhappy with one branch in particular.

When I started out sorting halves back in July, they were selling me a box of halves a week. I was told 2 weeks into ordering halves that they changed the policy and would only give me $100 a week without a charge. Anything over $100, I would be charged for.

So for the last couple of months, I have made them my dump bank. I dump a couple thousand of halves there a week.

I went in today with $1500 of halves in the plastic bags and was told by the merchant teller that this would be the last time they would accept halves in the bank plastic bags from me without charging me a fee.

This frustrated me quite a bit. So not only would it cost money to buy coin but now it costs money to drop off coin. I asked her why the policy changed and she could not tell me. She said her manager made the decision.

I asked her what the fee would be and she could not tell me.

I told her that surely they do not charge every person who brings in coin to their branch and asked them if I brought it in wrapped would that make a difference. Once again she could not answer my question.

she told me she was going to have her branch manager call me later today.

How would you guys handle this? I am just frustrated that they keep changing their policy; in a way it makes me feel like they are trying to nudge me out of their bank. No other Well's Fargo gives me the same hassels that this branch does. I use it because of convenience.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Not happy with Wells Fargo for my half dumping

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Ask for the policy in writing so you can see that it applies to every customer. Make them produce the documentation. Obviously they cannot.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Country » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:40 pm

It's time to move on to another branch. There are plenty of bank branches, so why bother with the one that gives you the most grief. They'll be happier if you will move on, and so will you. Best of Fortune in your SILVER searches. :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:43 pm

To be honest, it is hard to find dump banks. I have no problem finding banks to order for me. Many of the smaller branches have small vaults and really don't want me dumping there.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thedude » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:02 pm

I got the fee talk from WF today as well.
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all.
thedude
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:08 pm

thedude wrote:I got the fee talk from WF today as well.

What did they say to you?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thedude » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:16 pm

$.05 a roll if I want coins. This was after they confirmed I had an account.
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all.
thedude
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:26 pm

I kind of thought more and more banks would charge fees for our rolls. It's just part of their standard proceedure: charge more fees to the customers. The bulk of the bank profits come from the customer fees being charged. :evil:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Well I have never had one bank that wanted to charge to pick up halves and to drop off halves. All the rest of the banks it is one way or the other (They will order but don't want you to dump or they are ok with you dumping but won't order).
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:03 pm

Ok I talked to the branch manager; she says it is in their policy and procedures about charging for coin but they have not been enforcing it.

She is ok with my dropping off 1 rolled box a week without a fee. Guess Ill have to start wrapping one box a week just for them :-)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rainsonme » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:43 pm

The policiy is purely that of the branch manager. He/she will move on in 12 months. Until then, go to a different branch. Periodically check the atmosphere at that branch; go in asking for loose halfs. When you think the management has changed, mumble how you sure wish you could find a way to get more halfs. Odds are that the new merchant teller will be happy to tell you that HE(or SHE) CAN in fact perform that miricle. Look surprised and pleased. For dumping, find a bank that has a coin counting machine. I also try to keep it to $500 of halfs so they only have to change the half bag once. It means I go to a lot of different branches in a week, but I haven't annoyed a dump bank sufficiently to get cut off yet. I have been cut off from several banks on picking up; but EVERY one of them has come round with new personnel in the course of the last couple years. DUMP banks seem friendly towards me. I will sometimes mix in a couple $100 of other coins, but never mroe than $500 in halfs for a dump run, and never more than once per week per dump branch, even though that means more driving. Oh, and I also try to make sure I don't over load a canvas bag; $500 in halfs and maybe $200 in dimes would be my max weight limit. The tellers really don't like the heavy bags. I try never to take more than one bag into a branch, occasionally breaking that rule for the least used (furthest) dump bank.

I don't want to sound preachy, as I am sure everyone here already knows this. But ----- I treat all the tellers as though they are doing me a big favor, because they are. The bank makes no money off of ordering me coins or taking my dump bags; in fact, it costs them money for every bag they order from an armored service company, and they are charged for every bag an armored service company picks up. So on this "service" the bank looses on either end of the trade. They may well be gouging consumers on credit cards, loan fees, and their gerneral incompetence at banking over the past 10 years, but on these transactions, it is all a gift from the bank branch. And after all, this is just my hobby taking up time, effort, and cost in their business office. So even when they tell me they couldn't possibly order a bag of coin, or they want to charge me some arbitrary per roll fee, or they miss an order, or make me wait, or whatever, I am always very polite and thank them for their time. They're trying to run a business; I'm trying to get my hobby for free on their effort.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:25 am

Oh I am very appreciative when the tellers order coin and let me dump. I even take tellers candy from time to time.

It is just frustrating to have someone keep changing their policy every couple of weeks. That to me is not good customer service.

I had a Wells Fargo up front tell me that they were going to charge a fee if they ordered coin. I respect that more than someone changing policy midstream.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:45 am

Pennysaved wrote:Ok I talked to the branch manager; she says it is in their policy and procedures about charging for coin but they have not been enforcing it.

She is ok with my dropping off 1 rolled box a week without a fee. Guess Ill have to start wrapping one box a week just for them :-)

Ask for that in writing. I guarantee you they dont have it in their policy.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals