Aluminum Spiking Sharply

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Aluminum Spiking Sharply

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:03 pm

I just looked at the price of aluminum on Kitcometals.com and it is $1.00/lb., up from 75 cents (33%) in just a few days. In the stock market that would be a really good YEAR.

I realize there is likely a lag before prices realized at scrap yards would go up. They want to be sure this is more than just a glitch in the short-term chart before paying substantially more.

Think of it another way. I am selling at a scrap yard today and the company that will be buying from the scrap yard won’t
be buying anymore for another 1-2 weeks. I know I’d be nervous about buying at elevated prices in a situation like that.

I know some people have brokerage/futures accounts to hedge positions, but there are many that are too small and unsophisticated for that.

Your thoughts?

P.S. About 150 years ago aluminum was actually MORE expensive than gold! Look it up if you don’t believe me.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Aluminum Spiking Sharply

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:54 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I just looked at the price of aluminum on Kitcometals.com and it is $1.00/lb., up from 75 cents (33%) in just a few days. In the stock market that would be a really good YEAR.

I realize there is likely a lag before prices realized at scrap yards would go up. They want to be sure this is more than just a glitch in the short-term chart before paying substantially more.

Think of it another way. I am selling at a scrap yard today and the company that will be buying from the scrap yard won’t
be buying anymore for another 1-2 weeks. I know I’d be nervous about buying at elevated prices in a situation like that.

I know some people have brokerage/futures accounts to hedge positions, but there are many that are too small and unsophisticated for that.

Your thoughts?

P.S. About 150 years ago aluminum was actually MORE expensive than gold! Look it up if you don’t believe me.

whoa....really?......Steve, you know what i noticed?....in the last six months, whether it be crude, or wheat/corn/ beans/cattle/hogs, metals.......in the last six months, it seems that both volume, AND open interest have taken a 50% haircut....am i nutz or what?.....sure i watch the equities, both index's and individual issues, and they just scare the dickens out of me...it seems like solid stuff like P/E...is out the window.

any metals i may have, (dont have aluminum) i'm holding, and NO debt......told my boy, "debt is slavery".....he zero'ed out his cc's real quick.....i like nickel a lot too, specifically those $100 FV "bricks of nick's".......n.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Aluminum Spiking Sharply

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:06 pm

And, sure enough, aluminum has gone back down to 75 c/lb. per kitcometals.com. Too bad.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals