Coming Influx of Coinage?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Coming Influx of Coinage?

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed May 20, 2020 9:37 pm

None of the banks in my area have been accepting coins for deposit for about two months now. Is it reasonable to expect a small surge of coins once they open their lobbies again?
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Coming Influx of Coinage?

Postby coppernickel » Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 pm

I anticipate a surge of people cashing out of coin for three reasons;

1- pent up need. Without access to banks there is a need to cash out. Catchup should be quick.
2- down economy. When people need cash they will empty the piggy bank. I actually read a book once that stated the first place to get quick cash is to check your couch.
3- cashless economy. Many businesses are required to go cashless to reopen, money is dirty and infectious, you know.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coindood » Wed May 20, 2020 11:38 pm

Contributed about $25 of regular rolled change at my Wells Fargo today. Had to make an appointment to get lobby access. Got there early and people were let in before me who didn't have appts (no car for the drive-thru or other reasons). Whole ordeal took about 30 mins and it smelled more antiseptic than a hospital in there.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu May 21, 2020 4:19 am

If your theory is true, you’d think Coinstar machines would be really busy. It has been years since I saw a waiting line of even one person at a CS machine (exception: someone like me scavenging for free coins).
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Thu May 21, 2020 5:27 am

coppernickel wrote:I anticipate a surge of people cashing out of coin for three reasons;

1- pent up need. Without access to banks there is a need to cash out. Catchup should be quick.
2- down economy. When people need cash they will empty the piggy bank. I actually read a book once that stated the first place to get quick cash is to check your couch.
3- cashless economy. Many businesses are required to go cashless to reopen, money is dirty and infectious, you know.

I would add people have been home bored with not much to do so it could be a god time to roll up all that coin and get rid of it. keep the kids busy as well....
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu May 21, 2020 4:21 pm

coppernickel wrote:I anticipate a surge of people cashing out of coin for three reasons;

Hey, would you mind inviting me over to your house to watch TEEVEE? I'll just sit on the couch thanks.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals