Italian Silver plated chain? .925 marked

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Italian Silver plated chain? .925 marked

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:47 pm

So I acquired a scrap 925 ITALY chain that has a fine plating that it hard to see with the naked eye. Looking through a loupe you can see this plating flaking off in many places all over the chain. The metal under the flaking is silver colored just like the plating. I was wondering if any folks are familiar with this. Could it be rhodium plating that is coming off or is it just a silver plated base metal fake? I can't take a good picture of it with my camera unfortunately. Is there a lot of well done fake Italian sterling silver jewelry out there?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals