Pawn shop shopping for AG

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Pawn shop shopping for AG

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Had an interesting run in today at a pawn shop. I have been trying to find a pawn shop/coin shop locally where I can swing in an pickup small lots of silver every few weeks or so. I had to dump some clad and knew of 2 that were on my route to the bank so I stopped at them to see if they even had any silver in their shop. Walk into the first one and had a proof Franklin in some post card with a price of $24. Asked the guy behind the counter if they had any other coins and someone yells from the back that they have some silver dollars. He brings out 3 common circulated 1921 Morgans and says he wants $25 each. Didnt even try to haggle him down knowing he was way out of my ballpark. Went on the the next one a few miles down the road. Walked in and looked around. No coins visable so I waited on one of the workers to free up. Then I asked him if they had any coins or junk silver. He walks over to one of the displays and points to a coin. It was a well worn 1964 Kennedy with the price tag of $17.99!! Jokingly I ask if thats the price. He proceeds to tell me that silver isnt worth much these days and that they rarely get anything silver in. Not really sure what I just heard I say, why cause it has gone up in price so much lately? He looks at me and says, "No, silver isnt worth that much these days. People bring in silver necklaces and we give them like $10 bucks for them. Silver price right now is really low." I couldnt believe what this guy just said. I guess I was just so shocked he was this inept and running a pawn shop. Is this just the BS he tells everyone who comes in to get them to sell their silver cheap or is he really this stupid? After a good laugh and pulling away in the car, I thought about how I should have told him I would take all his silver necklaces he is buying for $10 at his super low silver price. I might go back just to see if I can find some of that "inexpensive" silver.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Pawn shop shopping for AG

Postby agmoose » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:27 pm

I've tried a couple of pawn shops too, and ran into the same thing when it comes to crazy prices on junk silver coins. One in particular had "rare" written on each flip for 40% Kennedy's that were priced on sale, 50% off at $8.99 each. I asked what they'd buy my 40% Kennedy's for and the reply was $1.75 to $2 each depending on "shine". LOL.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:09 pm

The guys at pawn shops can be pretty sly about what they know. They have an idea of whats going on, at least the ones around me do even if they don't let on that they do.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:22 am

Depends on the location as well.

One Pawn Shop i know has numerous Morgans that appear to be either plated a/or severely polished in the cases. Some have prices into the hundreds of $$$. The only things worth even grabbing in the place would be the foreign coin mixtures.

Another one is extremely notorious by the cops for crooks fencing stuff they stole to support their drug habits. Almost every week I see either a marked or UC cop car in the parking lot and the police either recovering something that was pawned. I only go there to either buy CD's on the cheap to resell at a Used CD shop, or see what vintage games I can find there.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:41 am

I stopped at a pawn shop last winter, and they had been selling Ag roosies for $1, but a guy had just bought them. :( The guy wasn't just saying that either, they had a place in the display for them with a $1 price tag. They were also selling mercs for $1.5. No 16-D's there though :D :D
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:53 am

Roadrunner wrote:I stopped at a pawn shop last winter, and they had been selling Ag roosies for $1, but a guy had just bought them. :( The guy wasn't just saying that either, they had a place in the display for them with a $1 price tag. They were also selling mercs for $1.5. No 16-D's there though :D :D

I got some dimes from a pawn shop a few months ago around 10X face. This perticular shop always has silver in stock but the dollars and halves are always way overpriced. Quarters and dimes they will ask just over melt and I usually can bring them down 2-5% below face with a nice crisp $100 bill in my hand. I need to swing back in there one of these days.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby abe » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:34 pm

I stopped in a pawn shop yesterday for only the 2nd time because the have so few items and the prices are ridiculous. In the glass case were 3 wheat cents (common), 1 buffalo nickel (1935), 4 mercs, 11 rosies, & 5 wash. qtrs. I ask the lady for the prices but she didn't know as the were just added a couple hours earlier. She called the owner for the prices and I was surpized. The rosies were $1.10 a piece, mercs $1.50, & the qtrs $3.00 a piece. With tax it was 35 and change, but when I got home I checked silver prices and the coins totaled $45.40. So I was happy, but there was nothing of value.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Good deal, makes me want to go check out the pawn shops by me. A while ago I went in to one to look for deals and see what kind of prices they pay for silver or gold. They said they pay about 30% of the spot price at the time per gram. I felt like they were just totally ripping people off, they sold stuff for over spot, and have never been back.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals