Felt Like We Won the Lottery

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Felt Like We Won the Lottery

Postby silverflake » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:11 pm

So perhaps this should be in the Tracking threads but with the world the way it is, this brought a bit of happiness. It was a "Golden Moment" of silver.

We had a yard sale this past weekend. my wife goes to the bank on Friday to get some $1 bills and some quarters. Yes, the bank gave her a roll of quarters in this coin shortage! So wife comes home bursting through the door: "Check this out!" She plops a 1958 quarter on the table in front of me! Sweet find! I was happy as a clam. I haven't found a silver quarter in circulation since the 90's. I was just as happy to see my wife (the wife of a coin collector/gold bug/hard money nerd) so excited.

Anyhow, fun stuff for sure.

Keep looking. Keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Felt Like We Won the Lottery

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:11 am

You are fortunate to have a wife who gets so excited about coins.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:28 am

Recyclersteve wrote:You are fortunate to have a wife who gets so excited about coins.

Yes it is great to have a wife that supports your coin collecting hobby. My wife absolutely HATES my coin collecting and says when I die she will take all my coins to the bank and dump them at face value because she does not want the "hassle" of having coin auctions to get rid of them.
Last edited by NDFarmer on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 am

NDFarmer wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:You are fortunate to have a wife who gets so excited about coins.

Yes it is great to have a wife that supports your coin collecting hobby. My wife absolutely HATAES my coin collecting and says when I die she will take all my coins to the bank and dump them at face value because she does not want the "hassle" of having coin auctions to get rid of them.
your

Put it in your will that your collection must be disposed of in a manner that suits you and helps her.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:38 pm

knibloe wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:

Yes it is great to have a wife that supports your coin collecting hobby. My wife absolutely HATAES my coin collecting and says when I die she will take all my coins to the bank and dump them at face value because she does not want the "hassle" of having coin auctions to get rid of them.
your

Put it in your will that your collection must be disposed of in a manner that suits you and helps her.

If she is dumb enough to dump a $500.00 roll of 1909 VDB's for face value of .50 cents then I guess that's up to her.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:21 pm

NDFarmer wrote:Yes it is great to have a wife that supports your coin collecting hobby. My wife absolutely HATAES my coin collecting and says when I die she will take all my coins to the bank and dump them at face value because she does not want the "hassle" of having coin auctions to get rid of them.

:shock: Store your coins in Priority Mail Forever Prepaid Flat Rate Boxes addressed to me with instructions that she can request a free package pickup at USPS.com when the time comes. I will happily count them and mail her a check for face value so she doesn't even have to haul them to the bank. :shifty: :lol:

Sincerely though, that is sad to hear :(
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 am

Years ago I sold Ron a group of nice Peace dollars and it would be a sad day to see them sold at face :o Somewhere in the great state of North Dakota there must exist a reasonably honest coin shop that will treat her fairly. She can view it as taking a nice, relaxing, scenic drive to her coin shop of choice, laying the hoard on the dealer's counter top and collecting a nice, fat check--a much better return for a little more time and effort than simply dumping them at the bank!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:14 pm

:thumbup:
pennypicker wrote:Years ago I sold Ron a group of nice Peace dollars and it would be a sad day to see them sold at face :o Somewhere in the great state of North Dakota there must exist a reasonably honest coin shop that will treat her fairly. She can view it as taking a nice, relaxing, scenic drive to her coin shop of choice, laying the hoard on the dealer's counter top and collecting a nice, fat check--a much better return for a little more time and effort than simply dumping them at the bank!
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby smackvay » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Last 90% i found in the wild was my change from a tudors biscuit world biscuit. Got myself my first 90% quarter
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals