83 tonnes of Fake gold!!! ????

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

83 tonnes of Fake gold!!! ????

Postby mflugher » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:10 pm

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Caixi ... d-in-China

Apparently this isn't the first time either, happened in 2016 as well????!!!

I cannot believe this isn't worth a $50 spike...
Someone somewhere is gonna have to replace that gold, be it the bank or the insurance co, or the original borrower etc...
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Re: 83 tonnes of Fake gold!!! ????

Postby galenrog » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:02 pm

Counterfeiting and fraud are “business as usual” in China.

The value of counterfeit goods emanating from China make the value of 83 tons on gold look small.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby mflugher » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Yeah, but counterfeit goods sold $1k-$2k or less at a time to unsuspecting Gweilo isn't the same thing as billions of Dollars of insured, "tested", "guaranteed" presumably rehypothecated multiple times gold bricks insured in a proper vault and all that. I wouldn't be surprised if some pretty major banks stateside or in Europe were also accidentally wrapped into this with as many times as these gold bars are contracted and swapped, pledged and whatnot on paper between these bullion banks and investment banks, governments and whatnot... For each of these gold bars there are probably 10+ "stakeholders" who have bought the rights, then resold/leased/leveraged it to some other bank that gave them money and also now has rights in it. If the $20Bn # is correct that probably has tentacles that reach out to the half trillion to trillions in potential damages, much like the subprime mortgage situation...
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:23 am

It used to be really easy to get counterfeit coins on eBay. If you typed a word like “replica” (softer language) instead of Counterfeit, you could find a bunch. Even after that disappeared for the most part on eBay, it still was a big issue on Alibaba. That was a number of years ago. Anyone able to locate any fake gold recently?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:13 pm

I originally read the thread title as FLAKE gold and wondered if someone had finally cashed in all their little glass vials of 99% water 1% gold flakes from eBay :lol: :P
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:38 pm

Those gold flakes would probably be a really good decoy to offer up in case someone ever put a gun to my head in the middle of the night. Thx for the idea!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals