Picked up some PRETTY silver last week!!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Picked up some PRETTY silver last week!!!

Postby pennypicker » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:52 pm

We all know that premiums on silver bullion have really increased lately, however the good news for those of us who also collect sterling is that premiums on many pieces are actually falling on ebay. Last week I pickup up these three beautiful vintage pieces of sterling--the bowl is the "Francis the 1st" pattern by Reed & Barton circa 1941 and measures 11 1/2" in diameter and weighs 725 grams. The salad serving fork & spoon set is the "Les Six Fleurs" pattern by Reed & Barton as well and each is 11" long weighing a combined 404 grams--circa 1901-1915. All three pieces are in outstanding condition. I threw in the silver quarter for scale. The beauty of vintage sterling is tough to beat! Thanks for looking, Don
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (172.92 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Last edited by pennypicker on Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Picked up some FANCY silver last week!!!

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 pm

Beautiful. Well done.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Picked up some PRETTY silver last week!!!

Postby Thogey » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:26 am

you get a big BULLY!

Well done. Troy pound ASW.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:47 am

I look on ebay for quality sterling that is badly tarnished which greatly diminishes its eye appeal and lowers the bidding due to the labor required to restore it back to its original beauty--most buyers are lazy in this regard however I enjoy taking the time to give pieces a careful and thorough polishing. For those of you who have silver sterling to polish but don't know what to use and how to do it I can save you a lot of time researching it. I've tried many different brands of silver polish over the years and "Blitz Silver Shine" polish works the best in my opinion. It has extremely low abrasion and you can rub as much as you like and it won't leave any hairline scratches. It begins to remove heavy tarnish immediately on contact and it will remove all the tarnish on your piece no matter how dark it is. And all you need to apply it with is a simple cotton makeup remover pad that the women use. Once you've removed all the tarnish then simply use your fingers to rub dish soap over the piece and rinse with warm water to remove all the polish residue. Then lightly dry with a cotton cloth and your piece will look great! Those sterling polishing cloths that you hear about only work on very light tarnish so if you have heavier tarnish then "Blitz" is what you need. You can buy blitz on ebay and you can find the makeup removal pads at Walmart and Target.
P1370907.JPG
P1370907.JPG (119.14 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
Last edited by pennypicker on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:19 pm

Great pickups Don, and thanks for the recommendation on the tarnish remover. :thumbup:
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:34 pm

Very Nice high end Sterling.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby agmoose » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:09 am

Gorgeous stuff!
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby amalekidad » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:41 am

Purdy!!
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals