Nic-a-date

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Nic-a-date

Postby Engineer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:18 am

I have quite a few dateless buffalos, and holes in my album...those holes are annoying me, and so are the dateless buffs.

Does anyone have some experience or tips to share before I order a bottle and start playing?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Nic-a-date

Postby Slaphot » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:55 am

You can also soak them in White vinegar for about a week. Have never tried the nic-a-date, but i have seen what it looks like and i leaves a"burn" mark where you apply it. I have tried vinegar method once with success. I brought a 1917 back to life. I have read that if the coin is too worn the process will not work. Give it a try with a few of your least worn dateless nicks. I am interested in hearing the results.
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:51 am

Thanks for your post . Something new to me. For others I found you can order it here http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/nic-a-date.html and someone has a website on it here http://www.buffaloreincarnations.com
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:11 am

yup it works good, but it is an art to it. Look up that buffaloreincarnations on ebay. he sell a lot of them
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Slaphot » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:13 am

Also, don't let the vinegar evaporate, it will leave spots on your coins.
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 pm

I have a bottle, it works good.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:20 am

henrysmedford wrote:Thanks for your post . Something new to me. For others I found you can order it here http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/nic-a-date.html and someone has a website on it here http://www.buffaloreincarnations.com

Thanks for the links. Interesting stuff.

The guy in the 2nd link, however, is using something stronger than nic-a-date. He'll tell you what it is if you buy his business for 25k. :mrgreen:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 am

Morsecode wrote:The guy in the 2nd link, however, is using something stronger than nic-a-date. He'll tell you what it is if you buy his business for 25k. :mrgreen:

He's a member over at the coincommunity web site, you could go ask him there.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:58 am

I have only 1 roll of dateless buffs, otherwise I might go for it. Looking at the photo of his soaking sink it must be pretty caustic stuff whatever it isn
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Dano » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:22 am

Engineer wrote:I have quite a few dateless buffalos, and holes in my album...those holes are annoying me, and so are the dateless buffs.

Does anyone have some experience or tips to share before I order a bottle and start playing?

Engineer,
I love this stuff. i have found a couple of semi-key buffalos by using it. I know that people can tell a nickel has been "treated", but in my mind it was worth only five cents before i "Nik-a-Dated" it, and now it has a date and or mint mark that was hidden before. My goal is to fill up an album with these "restored" nickels. The bottle was under 5.00 and it goes a long way.
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:07 am

Thanks everyone. I ordered a bottle last night, and can't wait to play with the stuff.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 am

I found a hole filler on my first try. :thumbup:

Edit: After a while, the treated areas started to discolor and turn green, so I guess I need to sacrifice some Jeffersons before I mess up all my buffalos.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Slaphot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Engineer wrote:I found a hole filler on my first try. :thumbup:

Edit: After a while, the treated areas started to discolor and turn green, so I guess I need to sacrifice some Jeffersons before I mess up all my buffalos.

Are you making any progress? Are they still turning green? I put 4 in vinegar and they should be ready in few days.
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coincrazy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 pm

What dates do you need?
coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins