Stack or Sort ?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Stack or Sort ?

Postby Morsecode » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:29 pm

I've decided to rekindle a need to acquire nickels. Brought my first couple boxes home today in fact. It still seems like a no-brainer...buy box, stack, repeat. But - what if the 5¢ goes through composition change in a few years. Won't ALL unopened boxes be suspect at that point? Especially if they maintain the 5 gram weight.

I know some of you are sorting anyway, looking for war nicks and buffalos. But, for now I wanted to keep it simple.

Next question: if the time came to sell nickels to the smelter, would modern Canada steelies taint the batch? Would Mr. Jefferson Smelter insist on pure batches of 75/25 cu/ni?

Third question: am I paranoid?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Stack or Sort ?

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Yes you are paranoid. What were the other questions?
Actually just write the date and place you acquired the box and sell it like that when the time comes. If they change the composition you will have a premium unsearched nickel box. Then sell it on E-bay for large profits and sleep well at night comfortably knowing you actually sold a real unsearched product there.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Yeah pretty much. There could be one or two Canadians per box, but most of them are CuNi anyway, and some are pure nickel. I don't think an occasional steel would be too much of a problem.
Last edited by scyther on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Yep almost all the Canadian that make it into the boxes I've sorted were cuni. It may be a function of the sorter but the ones sorting these seem to be pulling out the magnetic.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:24 pm

The way I figure it.. I can always buy a pallet or two when the time comes so for now, I'm sorting for pre60. No reason to let all that money just sit there if you have an upper limit on funds. Plus, I might have a pallet of pre60's when that day comes. Which is what I would really like to have. :thumbup:
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins