Nickels and cents in vending machines

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Nickels and cents in vending machines

Postby slvrbck » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:33 am

So it sounds like the strongest argument from the composition report to not make cents and nickels from a cheap steel alloy is the elecromagnetic signature and the use in vending machines. I honestly cannot recall the last time I used a penny or nickel in a vending machine or received one of these coins in change from a machine. Really the only machine i can ever remember using a penny or nickel in would be a coin counter. Am i missing something? Anybody have any comments? Thanks and happy holidays.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Re: Nickels and cents in vending machines

Postby MetalJunkie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:21 am

Have to agree with you ( In Canada). I only ever use 1 or 2$ coins. maybe quarters if im really thirsty or hungry lol. I dont have the patience to put in Nickles lol.....Most vending machines wont even except a cent anymore.
MetalJunkie

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:31 am

slvrbck wrote: I honestly cannot recall the last time I used a penny or nickel in a vending machine or received one of these coins in change from a machine. Really the only machine i can ever remember using a penny or nickel in would be a coin counter. Am i missing something? Anybody have any comments? Thanks and happy holidays.

I think the vending machine advocate side of things has a straw man argument against changing the composition. I see vending machines at work where things already cost so much that rounding them up a nickel so that the price ends with a zero should be no big deal. So, cost of changing the machines to accept new composition is moot as machines could be made to accept old nickels only or dimes but not the new nickels.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:21 am

Some parking meters take nickels. I can't think of anything that takes pennies though.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby NiBullionCu » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:11 pm

USPS stamp dispensing machines used to take pennies.

But I haven't seen one in a few years since they replaced the stamp vending machine at my post office with the APC kiosk.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:24 pm

NiBullionCu wrote:USPS stamp dispensing machines used to take pennies.

But I haven't seen one in a few years since they replaced the stamp vending machine at my post office with the APC kiosk.

Hummm.... I wonder how long it would take to feed $45FV of zinc in one of those to get 100 forever(so long as we open) stamps?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:28 pm

I don't even think you can drop pennies in the fare box for the city bus
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby slvrbck » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:11 pm

I have seen some small town meters that have a nickel slot. Where Im at a quarter buys you about 6 minutes of parking time so nickels wouldnt work out too well. I doubt those old meters and stamp machines function on an electromagnetic signature though. Probably more like weight and size. Oh well, I just dont see any significant impact to the vending industry regarding pennies and nickels in any way. My guess is that the single biggest impact would probably be against coinstar having to retool their counters.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:11 pm

Coin laundry & pay phones take nickels :!:
hobo finds

Postby scyther » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:24 am

I remember being disappointed (but not surprised) a few years ago when I found that vending machines wouldn't take pennies. I was pleasantly surprised that they did take nickels. I still don't think it would matter, though. They could just stop taking nickels. I don't think too many people use them.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:52 am

Do those penny flattening machines require you to put a penny in?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby twoten01 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:33 am

yes they are usually 2 quarters and 1 cent, in Sept when we went to WDW, we had to stop at every one we saw, because my nephew and niece collect them, but of course my nephew(11), would never put a copper penny, in the machines, he kept saying "add this to your hoard" lol
twoten01
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hobo finds » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 am

I checked and you can use cents here to pay for the city bus ride :thumbup:
hobo finds

Postby Bluegill » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:26 am

Vending machines here in MI take nickels. The vending company that owns the machines where I work prices in increments of 5¢. Their bill changer dispenses 3 quarters and 5 nickels. Their machines even dispense and accept Cdn CuNi nickels.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:35 pm

To my knowledge.....most vending machines I've seen/used in Indiana take nickels. The ones at my work do and the dollar/5 dollar bill changer gives out 3 quarters, 2 dimes, and a nickel for every dollar.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby plus1hdcp » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:46 pm

I've been known to buy a soda from the local vending machines with all nickels.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZenOps » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Its worth noting that the vast majority of Canadian coinage is magnetic.

Nickels from 1922 to 1981, and nickels from 2000 to 2012. Dimes from 1968 to 2012, Quarters from 1968 to 2012, Halves from 1968 to 2012, Dollars from 1968 to 2012, and Toonies.

In fact, only the nickels from 1982 to 1999 with some exceptions and pennies made until 1999 are assuredly non-magnetic.

We had no issues with people trying to fake it with iron coinage, if just for the fact that after a couple of years if you don't plate it with nickel - it will show signs of immediate rust. And the technology for electroplating iron was not really cost effective for anyone other than the mint.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby hirbonzig » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Vending machines around town take and give out nickels. But the last penny I remember putting in a machine was a gumball machine some 40 years ago.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 pm

hobo finds

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:53 am

The self-checkout machines at Home Depot take pennies. I haven't tried to use it as a penny dump but when I pay cash at one of those machines I empty all the change from my pocket into it. When it calculates the difference between what I put in and what I owe it gives back change with new coins. So far nothing great coming out in change except for the occasional copper cent.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ZenOps » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:51 am

Having $1 and $2 coins can encourage people to spend more.

Although it depends on psychology, some people are much more apt to spend $1 and $2 coins in a vending machine than two one dollar bills. Its something to consider for you US people looking to boost the economy in any way possible.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:58 pm

hobo finds wrote:Coin laundry & pay phones take nickels :!:

Pay phone? I can't remember last time I saw a pay phone.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:58 pm

hobo finds wrote:I don't even think you can drop pennies in the fare box for the city bus

You can in Phoenix
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:11 pm

hobo finds wrote:I don't even think you can drop pennies in the fare box for the city bus

If the transit service has one of those automated machines, then yes. Otherwise, you could for the "dumb" fareboxes. Depending on the driver.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 pm

All this talk about cents and nickels being used in vending machines makes me feel like I'm nursing home material. When I was a young'un back in central Ohio, there was a Coke vending machine at the local attempt of what was called a shopping center. Anyway, the short bottles of Coke (7 oz, I believe) were 7 cents. You could do the nickel and 2 pennies or 2 nickels or one dime would net you 3 cents in the coin return. An even bigger hoot was these were vended in returnable bottles. There was a wooden case on the ground and everyone was on the honor system to drink and place the empty there. We're talking early 1960s, sports fans! Damn. I just made myself feel ancient.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins