Post your hobo nickel pics and questions here.

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Re: Post your hobo nickel pics and questions here.

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:38 pm

I use old school gravers. Watchmakers use the same style for engraving the cases. A power honer is basically just a power wheel sharpener. There is a company GRS which makes all kinds of professional engraving tools. They are expensive but top quality. I got a good deal on a used one. I took some profits, selling a little silver, alas at too cheap a price, but used the money to buy some professional tools. I also have a dremel, and that is good enough to do sweet artwork by itself, but the gravers let you do smoother cuts and finer effects.

I skulled out the queen a few times last year, I am a little better now so I should give her a whirl again!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:39 am

I had a go at starting on my solitary Nickel last night and made good headway flatting down the white house which I planned to replace with a dinosaur, and then my Dremel died (completely), then to make it worse I dropped the coin and can't find it.

Not a good start. Can't find gravers on UK eBay either - got any links to the sort of tool we should be looking for?
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:32 am

Devil Soundwave wrote:I had a go at starting on my solitary Nickel last night and made good headway flatting down the white house which I planned to replace with a dinosaur, and then my Dremel died (completely), then to make it worse I dropped the coin and can't find it.

Not a good start. Can't find gravers on UK eBay either - got any links to the sort of tool we should be looking for?

Man that is a run of bad luck.

Try checking your local telephone directory and seeing If there are any watchsmiths or repair shops in your area. These guys often have gravers that they use in their trade and may be able to sell you a few, point you to a supply house, or show you a thing or too.

Good luck man.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:21 am

That's not the white house. That's Monticello, Jefferson,s mansion.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby twentybux » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:04 am

blackrabbit wrote:I use old school gravers. Watchmakers use the same style for engraving the cases. A power honer is basically just a power wheel sharpener. There is a company GRS which makes all kinds of professional engraving tools. They are expensive but top quality. I got a good deal on a used one. I took some profits, selling a little silver, alas at too cheap a price, but used the money to buy some professional tools. I also have a dremel, and that is good enough to do sweet artwork by itself, but the gravers let you do smoother cuts and finer effects.

I skulled out the queen a few times last year, I am a little better now so I should give her a whirl again!

Thank you for the insight. Thanks to you and rodebaugh, I too am curious in this art form. If it materializes on my end, I'll let you know. In the meantime, keep cranking out the hobo pics. I love seeing them!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby twentybux » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:08 am

Devil Soundwave wrote:I had a go at starting on my solitary Nickel last night and made good headway flatting down the white house which I planned to replace with a dinosaur, and then my Dremel died (completely), then to make it worse I dropped the coin and can't find it.

I found this guy on US Ebay. Looks like he is on your side of the pond. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby twentybux » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:10 am

Just looked. Over a 1000 views on this topic. AMAZING! Looks like I'm not the only one with interest in the guys' works.

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:16 am

Thogey wrote:That's not the white house. That's Monticello, Jefferson,s mansion.

Oops! :oops:

UK money is easier - it just has the old hag on one side and random drawing on the other. :D
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:24 pm

Here is my latest nickel. I am trying to decide if I will put Vader up for sale on E-bay today or try do do more work on him. I don't want to mess anything up but could probably make it look better with some more work.
Attachments
IMG_5424.JPG
IMG_5424.JPG (58.97 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
IMG_5426.jpg
IMG_5426.jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:32 am

Vader is really cool!
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:24 pm

My vote is to place him onto Ebay! I believe the force is with you!

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Vader is up on e-bay. I started the bidding at 35 bucks. Hopefully I will get some interest, in person it looks much better too as the texture and shiny/dark contrast comes out better. Thanks for the feedback!
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:11 am

No new hobo nickels???

I enjoy seeing the photos.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby jasmatk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:32 pm

heres one im not finished got 2 cold out i need to do more detail work can you see what it is ill give a hint its our national plant http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/jasmatk/nickel/

edited to coredt link edited twice becouse im a moron
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:42 pm

jasmatk wrote:heres one im not finished got 2 cold out i need to do more detail work can you see what it is ill give a hint its our national plant http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/jasmatk/nickel/

edited to coredt link edited twice becouse im a moron

Clicked on above and it went to that address then immediately changed to the general page and I get this message:

Page not found
But now that you're here, go ahead and search through the billions of photos, images and videos on Photobucket.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby jasmatk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:43 pm

ill post a good zoomed in pic when i finish but i think you get the just of if
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jasmatk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:45 pm

try again i just fixed the link
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jasmatk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:50 pm

jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks for fixing the link.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Here is one of my latest works, Beer Can Bob. I hope you like him. On sale on e-bay currently.
Attachments
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG (55.12 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:24 pm

beer can bob is pretty cool BR. A lot of nice work man.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby twentybux » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Glad to see this topic back up on the list. I sure love seeing the new pics you guys have been working on. Cool stuff!

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:46 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Here is one of my latest works, Beer Can Bob. I hope you like him. On sale on e-bay currently.

Blackrabbit's coin can be found here.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Quick and Dirty Catfish Nickel.....enjoy:
Attachments
CIMG2626.jpg
CIMG2626.jpg (86.94 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:41 pm

That's a good fish!
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins