Nickel CTU = $310 face?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Nickel CTU = $310 face?

Postby Klark Cent » Thu May 09, 2013 1:26 am

Just brainstorming a little ...
At some point, U.S. CuNi nickels might trade similarly to the way copper cents do now.

If my math is correct, $310 face in nickels (assuming no wear) would weigh 31kg (about 68.34 pounds).

Medium flat rate shipping costs $12.35.

For a buyer to pay 6 cents per nickel (shipped) would cost $372.

That would leave about $50 for the seller for his time/effort/supplies/fees/etc. I think once the coinflation value of the nickel gets to 7-cents or more, there might be some trading going on.

I bet if someone put a buy-it-now for $399 on eBay for a "Nickel CTU" with a good sales pitch, he could probably make an occasional sale even now.

Ah, probably still isn't worth it. What would the eBay+PayPal fees be on $399? I haven't sold on eBay since 2002.
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Nickel CTU = $310 face?

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu May 09, 2013 6:08 am

Wouldn't that just be $100 face?

And I wonder.. Just what will we see when that day comes..?
V's...
Buff's..
38-49
50-59
60-69, etc..
... may the 2000's will be the commons?? Very good brainstorming thought...

I for one am stacking 38-49 and 50-59. It takes awhile but I'm sure my daughter will curse :roll: me one day.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Thu May 09, 2013 9:48 am

reddirtcoins wrote:Wouldn't that just be $100 face?

I double checked Klark's math, he's on the money with the $310 figure. I suspect it would be a very long time before people sell NTU's (patent pending) for a profit. Although I wouldn't mind seeing the price of nickel double, or triple.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Thu May 09, 2013 10:01 am

I'm thinking that nickel coinage will act significantly differently than silver coinage. Silver coinage tended to circulate in small batches within the country of origin. IE: US 90% was traded within the US. Even though there is plenty of pre-colonial heritage in the US, how many people have seen a single British silver circulation coin? Not many.

People will be using $2 roll or two of US nickels to pay daily wages in India, Zimbabwe, Eduador, etc. Many nations are paying workers significantly less in metal coinage than $2 per day (Anyone who has seen the 15 cent Yuan note, knows how many of them are out there, and how little actual monetary metal there is)

$2 worth of Canadian nickels will be more accepted in the nations that are still part of the Commonwealth.

IMO: People got it so very wrong when they said the US would sell of its gold to pay its debts to the rest of the world, its all about the nickels.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby LooseChange » Thu May 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Corsair wrote:
reddirtcoins wrote:Wouldn't that just be $100 face?

I double checked Klark's math, he's on the money with the $310 figure. I suspect it would be a very long time before people sell NTU's (patent pending) for a profit. Although I wouldn't mind seeing the price of nickel double, or triple.

I would think a round number would make more sense for an "NTU". Either $100 FV (Like they come in a box) or an even $300 FV. If one is basing everything off of a USPS FRB, then I'd lean towards the $300 FV option. It would be easier to count 150 rolls/3 boxes as opposed to the "odd" $310 FV.

Just my 2 cents as it relates to quantity of coins.
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu May 09, 2013 2:08 pm

yeah, it would also allow a little more wiggle room for reinforced packing and extra tape.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby LooseChange » Thu May 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Looks like Adam is on it already:

https://portlandmint.com/shop/product.php?productid=5

Pretty much our exact discussion above.
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:18 am

You can just go to a bank or credit union and order these by the box, at face value. No need to pay anything extra.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Fri May 10, 2013 10:47 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:You can just go to a bank or credit union and order these by the box, at face value. No need to pay anything extra.

For now. The moment the steels come out, I think some people will be buying bricks. Although apparently a few already are. I don't know how Adam sells anything at his prices, but, well, I guess that just comes with being Adam Youngs...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins