Software

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Software

Postby stnick38 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:14 am

Are any of you using any form of software in conjunction with your coin collecting? I'm curious about what software and how you use it to help with what you are doing.
stnick38

Re: Software

Postby 68Camaro » Sat May 04, 2013 9:20 am

KISS for me. Excel, email, and a browser cover 99.9% of my needs.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Sat May 04, 2013 5:38 pm

I have Excel set up to automatically calculate the total ounces, spot value, and APMEX buy price of my core stack.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby LooseChange » Mon May 06, 2013 8:59 am

I use excel...easiest and most familiar for me.

Its primary use for me, is to track at any given point how much money I have tied up in sorting, as well as my personal tracking sheet for value sorted/what I found.
My worksheet has tabs for Each Coin denomination and one for dumps. On the last tab, I calculate My Sorting Cash, my dumps (Quantity for each denomination each time), and how many coins I have sitting at the house to return.

Each denomination tab has spots for how much Coin I picked up, from where, date arrived/date sorted, quantity, type (CWR/Box/Loose), how many kept/why (Pennies are the most elaborate with wheats/foreign/copper/zinc).

I started this on a legal pad and after 2 days, I had to enter it in the computer. IF you are thinking about using a spreadsheet, I highly recommend it :mrgreen: Especially if you get into sorting multiple types of coins.
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby Bigsarge » Thu May 09, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm going to quadruple the Excel endorsements, and for the same reasons listed. I do separate spreadsheets and use it for general tracking of .999 and %90, nickel tracking, %90 roll searching and copper penny sorting. I have it programed to calculate ratios, weights, cost averages and whatever else pops into my mind in the middle of the night.
Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

Oh, it looks good on you though.
Bigsarge
Penny Collector Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins