Pleasant Surprise out of Nickel Box

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Pleasant Surprise out of Nickel Box

Postby Romalae » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:08 pm

This latest Brinks box of nickels definitely appears to be a success. As you can see below, it yielded my second ever Liberty V Nickel (1907). Along with it were a 1942-P War Nickel and a 2001-S proof. I'm really excited about this box -- certainly never expected to find a V Nickel.

Question: The proof coin has an unfortunate greenish stain on the reverse and some random circulation scratches. Is it ever going to be worth anything over face value now that someone has decided to circulate it? I have several other circulated proof coins that fall into this same dilemma as well.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Pleasant Surprise out of Nickel Box

Postby aloneibreak » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:31 pm

that was a good box !

i havent found a V yet...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Nice finds

Posts like this make wanna sort nickels again
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Congrats on the finds, got to love those boxes. Not a bad looking war nick. As for the circulated proofs, they are good to pass on to upstarts in coin collecting, especially the youngsters.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Nice!

I sorted 3 bags last week, and the best I came up with was a dateless buffalo and an AU 1939. It was a complete skunk for war nicks.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:59 am

That was a nice box. I really like the V nickels. Maybe someday I'll switch to searching nickel boxes and try to find one too.

Regarding the circulated proof. I doubt if has any additional value. I found a well circulated 1973-S proof in a batch of copper cents today. I'm keeping it as part of my "unexpected coins from roll searching" collection even though it wouldn't be worth more than any other circulated copper cent to other collectors.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver Runner » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:14 am

Finding a V nickel is always a nice find. I have found a total of 1 of those in my CRHing adventures.
Silver Runner
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Franco American » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:09 pm

I had an inerestng nickel box tonight. I ended up finding a 1912 V nickel, 1938D nickel and a 1969S nickel. No war nickels in the box though :thumbdown:
Franco American
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins