Nickels and cents in vending machines

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Re: Nickels and cents in vending machines

Postby algae21 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:32 am

Know Common Cents wrote:All this talk about cents and nickels being used in vending machines makes me feel like I'm nursing home material. When I was a young'un back in central Ohio, there was a Coke vending machine at the local attempt of what was called a shopping center. Anyway, the short bottles of Coke (7 oz, I believe) were 7 cents. You could do the nickel and 2 pennies or 2 nickels or one dime would net you 3 cents in the coin return. An even bigger hoot was these were vended in returnable bottles. There was a wooden case on the ground and everyone was on the honor system to drink and place the empty there. We're talking early 1960s, sports fans! Damn. I just made myself feel ancient.

I remember the old man using cigarette vending machines when I was a kid. The 2 or 3 cents in change was dispensed as pennies, taped to the outside of the cigarette pack.

I also remember the old toll plaza's on I-80. They had pay toilets that cost a nickel. :x
algae21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:02 am

I remember the parking meters in Wisconson Dells took pennies, though that was
in the 80s and even then it was more of a gimmick than anything.

Winnipeg Transit took pennies up until Feb.3 of this year, though they haven't changed
the fare boxes yet so depending on the driver there might be some who will let it slide still.

I think almost all vending machines around here take nickels.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:08 pm

I have never seen a vending machine that uses pennies. You are still able to use other denominations in them, even the dollar coins.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PMLurker » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:38 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:I have never seen a vending machine that uses pennies. You are still able to use other denominations in them, even the dollar coins.

Self checkout lanes at supermarkets and retail stores such as Home Depot accept change including pennies and nickels. I feed them with change all the time to try and get back 99 cents when I pay with FRNs. Haven't found any silver yet, though.

I suppose a self checkout machine would be considered a vending machine.
PMLurker
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:23 am

SilverDragon72 wrote:I have never seen a vending machine that uses pennies.

Never? You must be young...I remember a drugstore in my area had a penny gumball
machine. (1970s) I also remember being pissed off when it ripped me off for 1¢ one
time. ^_-
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:59 pm

fansubs_ca wrote:
SilverDragon72 wrote:I have never seen a vending machine that uses pennies.

Never? You must be young...I remember a drugstore in my area had a penny gumball
machine. (1970s) I also remember being pissed off when it ripped me off for 1¢ one
time. ^_-

Forty years young, yup! Ok, I have seen a gumball machine that took pennies. I'm simply saying that I haven't seen anything for a long, long time.

I was thinking more like a soda or vending machine.
Last edited by SilverDragon72 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:01 pm

PMLurker wrote:
SilverDragon72 wrote:I have never seen a vending machine that uses pennies. You are still able to use other denominations in them, even the dollar coins.

Self checkout lanes at supermarkets and retail stores such as Home Depot accept change including pennies and nickels. I feed them with change all the time to try and get back 99 cents when I pay with FRNs. Haven't found any silver yet, though.

I suppose a self checkout machine would be considered a vending machine.

Hmm. That is true. There are machines at some grocery stores in this area that are like that. The self checkout types. I guess that I've never thought of that before! :o

I should use one and see how much coinage I can get! ;)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:56 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:
Forty years young, yup!

That's weird, for some reason I thought you were younger than me... and I'm 21.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins