Knife sharpening sets

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Knife sharpening sets

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Don't know if this has been covered in a thread, but I "found" the most wonderful tool a week ago... a Smith's knife sharpening set. (And I'm told there is one or two other brands with similar products and good reputations.) Heretofore I've been such a neanderthal that I didn't even realize such as these existed. I've just been plugging along with my various arkansas stones and files, doing a fairly mediocre job of putting an edge on my blades. I happened to ask the salesman at Gander - while he was looking up something else for me - if he had a suggestion for how to sharpen a partially serrated Spyderco that I have (older one, love the knife), and he put me onto this set. Has coarse and fine sets of flat diamond hones, a triangular stone, and a round diamond hone, and clamps the back edge of the knife in order to provide an angle guide for the hones/stones. Puts an awesome edge on a knife.

Probably old news for most of you, but it was a beautiful thing to find for me. :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Knife sharpening sets

Postby NHsorter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:56 pm

I'll have to look into this. Maybe my problem is merely lousy equipment and not a complete lack of skill. Maybe. I have never been happy with the results when I sharpen my knives. I just can't get any of them back to factory sharpness. Then I read about guys that bitch about how dull their knives are from the factory so the first thing they do it touch them up.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:27 pm

NHsorter wrote:I'll have to look into this. Maybe my problem is merely lousy equipment and not a complete lack of skill. Maybe. I have never been happy with the results when I sharpen my knives. I just can't get any of them back to factory sharpness. Then I read about guys that bitch about how dull their knives are from the factory so the first thing they do it touch them up.

Yep - that was me too... I could take a bad edge and make it cuttable, but it was never really good. Never got to that "shaving" edge. I think I just wandered on the angle too much when I did it by hand.

But this really makes a good edge. Controls the angle, and the coarse diamond cuts fairly quickly to talk out bad angles from prior bad attempts, and small nicks. Follow it with the fine hone and it puts a great edge on it. I highly recommend it, or another brand like it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:42 am

I don't mess with the serrated edge knives.

I have two sharpening sets, a Lansky and an Edge Pro Apex. The Lansky and Smith's are similar and cost about the same. I think the Lansky has a better design, but they have allowed the drilling jig and lip forming cutter to drift out of position so the slightly better design has the problem of poor construction. Stones wear. The Lansky stones can be adjusted back in line with the guide wire after the stones are leveled (ground flat). None of the other's I've seen, including the Smith's, can be adjusted like that. The Lansky also has various stones similar to the Smith's.

The Lansky is very versatile, meaning you need to develop skills to end up with what you want instead of doing a great job of something you don't want. Check the videos on U-Tube, and read the instructions that come with the sharpener.

My Apex cost about $250, and is much better suited for large knives. The angle has to be readjusted after switching stones that have wear, but the angle is set with a slider instead of slots, so less hassle.

The guy that owns Edge Pro recommends avoiding diamond as the stone types sharpen more for the cost of the stone. He also offers instructions for leveling stones. I strongly suggest another trip to U-Tube.

In fact, I suggest watching a videos on a wide variety of sharpeners to pick up ideas you can use on what you have, and see what the strong and weak points of the various sharpeners are. I especially liked the idea of putting tape on the side of a blade and marking it so I can clamp the Lansky where it belongs (and use a note book to keep track of where you put it).
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About