Ugh....Computer Virus -Black Screen of Death

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Ugh....Computer Virus -Black Screen of Death

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 am

Well yesterday on my home computer after I looked at a YouTube video about what might happen today with the markets. The next thing I see is a screen flash and the computer rebooting then a black screen with the curser flashing.

I am obsessively running three different full scans of my hard drive looking to viruses and malware ect. as well as have Microsoft Security Essentials but somehow still this rogue virus slipped in anyway. Now that computer is in the shop and hopefully my data can be saved and cleaned. It might take a few days to run all the scans and set me back $150. It sucks!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Ugh....Computer Virus -Black Screen of Death

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:18 am

Sucks man - those things are vicous. Knock on wood - I had one (or more) a year ago that took me a month to rid of, and ever since I've been relentless in running multi-scans of the latest every day and paid out for a real-time anti-malware tool which has protected my butt a number of times.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:00 pm

You sure it's a virus?

My laptop did the same thing a few months back, and it was the motherboard that went kapoots.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:07 pm

I concur. It sounds like hardware.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby texcollex » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Hard drive crash could do it... from experience.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby didou » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 pm

If it was a virus it would still (somewhat) boot, even if the hard drive fail the BIOS would show a "Operating System Not Found" kind of error message.
If you see a cursor flashing the video card is powered, that leave pretty much only the motherboard or a damaged BIOS that fail. When the CPU fail or memory, the motherboard are still able to make Beep to signal the error. Some virus may be able to erase or damage a flashable BIOS since software do it, but i never saw that.
Probably going to cost more than $150 :(
sorry
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About