Taking a big step tomorrow!

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Taking a big step tomorrow!

Postby frugi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 pm

I found a woman moving out of state and wants to sell a bunch of her crap. This is my specialty, buying peoples unwanted stuff from them and ratholeing it away or trading it, or reselling it........

I already got some persian rugs from her, and some paintings........

Last week while I was hauling rugs out of her basement I noticed she had a (large) panic room professionally built somewhat like a bunker into the foundation of her house. I peeked inside, and holy wow! :shock: , she has the largest hoard of prepper food I have ever seen. At least 100 six gallon buckets from http://rainydayfoods.com/ containing every food item you can imagine.....she also has nut grinders, water purifiers, solar powered stuff, stoves, boxes of who knows what......

list goes on and on. I would say at least 500 sq. feet stacked 6 feet high of food and supplies. I asked her about it, she said her ex-husband was a prepper, and they bought all of that stuff in 1999 to prepare for Y2K, she said she hasnt touched it since. She told me she alone invested $30,000.00 in the contents of that room.

She believes the food has a 30 year shelf life, so she tells me if I want it I can have it all for $2000.00 :o she said she hasnt found a need for it in all these years, and she is moving out of state, and wont pay for it to be moved. I will have to rent a Uhaul to move it all....it is at least 4000 lbs. of just food in hermatically sealed buckets, not to mention whatever the hell else is in that room. I go tomorrow to begin the process.

She is letting me take 5 or so buckets of my choice home to open and examine before I pay and take the rest, so I am pretty pumped. I have always been worried about my food storages. I have been bad at rotating, and probably only have 3-4 months of food currently in my prepps, so this should really set my mind at ease.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas or something I should watch for before pulling the trigger on this deal?
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Re: Taking a big step tomorrow!

Postby theo » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:51 pm

Wow! Interesting opportunity. I'd do a little research on this company "Rainy Day Foods?" to see if there are any complaints/negative feedback. I'm also curious as to how much of her equipment is serviceable.

It does sound like a very good deal. Remember operational security as you transport everything to your home. Also, do you have enough storage for this yourself?

Keep us posted!
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 am

Dang - the non perishable hardware alone - if it was all kept clean dry rust free - would be worth the well over $2k. The food would be a bonus. I wouldn't be surprised if her husband overpaid so take the original price with a grain of salt, but looks like a deal no matter how you slice it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:51 pm

A+ and accredited by the BBB. No complaints. Parent company in business since 1958. Only negitive findings were they take a long time to ship stuff out. You got it in your hands already? I would call it a major coup, a big score. I saw a price list from 2012, didn't seem out of the ordinary for pricing. $15 for 25lbs of wheat not including shipping. Huge variety.

I would take it all and either sell or start supplementing my diet with the excess to keep my grocery bills down. Plus you get to figure out what you like and what you want to unload/sell to someone else. You might want to contact the company about shelf life. If for no other reason than to know how much longer you have on the different products. 1999 was a while back.

I'd also get an up to date price list so you can get an idea of the right now retail value. If it takes up all the space you say it does, it's a no brainer.

Otherwise, for $2k, I'd pull the trigger when I got the shelf life info and price list just to validate how smart you are once you get it all home.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:18 pm

so, here how it is so far.......there is no mills, or grinders :thumbdown: there are a couple of solar powered somethings in a box, and a couple of stoves, and some type of water purifiers.....so that is good.

Since these units of food are from 1999, they are back when the company just did bulk whole grains and such. So, it isnt freeze dried stuff like the company sells now, so good luck actually finding a price list from 1999. I also saw that 2012 price list. I thought the prices were cheap, compared to what she told me she spent.

I also found that this company up-charges 50% for delivery so she might have bought $20,000.00 in product and spent $10,000.00 on delivery. :o Now here is the kicker......these units do not contain individually sealed mylar bags of product, but rather the product is loose in the bucket.

So, I took today a 50lb. bucket of lentils, 45lb. bucket of hard red wheat, and a 45lb. bucket of hard white wheat. I also got six 5lb. cans of cheese powder. If I choose to open any of it, it will need to be consumed relatively quickly (within a couple of months) before it spoils. However, since these are whole foods packed in nitrogen with oxygen inhibitors rather than freeze dried processed foods the shelf like is apparently 60 years sealed up instead of 30 years.

I did a count today and found 130 six gallon (45lb.-50lb.) pales, and about 50 boxes of God knows what. All the food is in whole form, and from what I have seen so far includes: powdered milk, whole corn, hard red wheat, hard white wheat, lentils, salt, split peas, various beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, white kidney beans, baking soda, baking powder, yeast, oats, steel cut oats, corn grits, white rice, brown rice...........and more.

But I decided to go ahead and get it all, the pickup date begins on May 11. I took a few today to sample and play with, but if nothing else I believe these have significant resale value. So, I may keep half and sell half in order to come out with crap load of free food, and possible some cash profit as well. 8-)
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby NiBullionCu » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:54 pm

Great score! :clap:

I got curious, so took a look at RainyDayFoods.com on the wayback-machine at archive.org.

Prior to 2001 they were Waltonfeed.com

here is a link to their catalog from Nov. 1999

http://web.archive.org/web/20000925232227/http://waltonfeed.com/complete.html
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:09 am

NiBullionCu wrote:Great score! :clap:

I got curious, so took a look at RainyDayFoods.com on the wayback-machine at archive.org.

Prior to 2001 they were Waltonfeed.com

here is a link to their catalog from Nov. 1999

http://web.archive.org/web/20000925232227/http://waltonfeed.com/complete.html

thank you!. this link is exactly what I needed.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Thu May 01, 2014 7:45 pm

The "use by" date is usually idiotic, intended to get people to toss stuff instead of storing it.

Goods that are stored represent money that is not moving through the economy, and so cannot be taxed. That reduces tax income.

Note also that the addition of ethanol to gasoline also decreases storage life of fuel. Same purpose, and to make everyone dependent on gov't if things fall apart.

She has whole grains and nothing to crack or grind it with? How odd.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu May 01, 2014 9:09 pm

Mossy wrote:The "use by" date is usually idiotic, intended to get people to toss stuff instead of storing it.

I frequently consume soups that "expired"in 2006. Hasn't been a problem yet, taste just fine. :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby frugi » Thu May 01, 2014 9:22 pm

Mossy wrote: She has whole grains and nothing to crack or grind it with? How odd.

She has two grown daughters who started their own farm......she told me she gave the grinders and mills to them, unfortunately for me. :( I was really excited about getting those. oh well, I can think about that for the future though. At least now I will have a good reason to buy one.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About