Popcorn vs. sweet corn anyone?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Popcorn vs. sweet corn anyone?

Postby texcollex » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:00 pm

I was wondering... has anyone tried eating popcorn not popped but fresh-cooked like sweet corn? Is there enough corn on the cobs to be worth it, or is it just good for popping :?: I have been told that popcorn is the best for long term storage and makes great cornmeal. Can anyone support that info? Thanks!
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Popcorn vs. sweet corn anyone?

Postby knibloe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:40 pm

I don't think that popcorn would taste good on the cob. It is too close to field corn. they do not have the sugar content and the outer shell is harder.

I think that pop corn would store well and make better meal than sweet corn.

We grow indian corn to sell with our pumpkins. I have about 25 lbs of it that I shelled by hand. I need 5 labs to replant next year, and have been thinking about grinding some of the rest to cook with.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Seems to me that I've read about grain grinders needing to be rated for corn because it's harder than the normal grains. Pop corn is pretty darn hard when it's mature and dry.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nickelless » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:33 am

I have very little popcorn in my preps so far, but I'm hoping to experiment soon with making sort of like a cereal out of popped popcorn, milk and honey! Anyone else ever tried something like this?
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby texcollex » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:56 pm

Nickelless wrote:I have very little popcorn in my preps so far, but I'm hoping to experiment soon with making sort of like a cereal out of popped popcorn, milk and honey! Anyone else ever tried something like this?

I think Kellog tried it about 120 years ago ;p Maybe it was someone else and Kellog took their failure and invented corn flakes.

Growing up, we ate field corn on the cob quite often. I thought it was pretty good. We grew sweet corn mostly for the table, but never hesitated to pull field corn as well. Plain old yellow dent.

I do have a mill that grinds corn great, It is electric and although it came with a hand crank I believe it would be pretty hard to crank.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About