2 way emergency communications

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

2 way emergency communications

Postby Z00 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Does anyone have experience with any of the available non licensed 2 way radios.
My only experience has been with CB radio and I do not think that is satisfactory.

I am trying to make some decisions on GMRS/FRS and MURS.

Any input from experienced users of these services will be appreciated.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 2 way emergency communications

Postby dirty fingers » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:45 pm

The only 'legal' unlicensed 2-way is FRS (I am unfamiliar with MURS). GMRS actually requires a fed license. Very few abide by that, but they ARE licensed, AND the FCC DOES actually look into them when there are problems (I know that from FIRST hand experience talking with FCC years ago). All GMRS radios I am aware of, also have all the FRS channels also. GMRS is just some of the channels, and allows a higher power transmission.

FRS is pretty low power. It does work fine to link 2 cars driving together (or a group). If you are within half mile and visible, they are ok.

Some of the bigger things to look for with FRS/GMRS is to make sure you get them where they have some sub-channel scrambling. That allows you to somewhat keep a private conversation. They are not really private, but it keeps others off your party line, and works well, as long as each handset is tuned to the same. There really is not all the much 2 way radio traffic around me. The only time it 'does' get a little active, is during hunting season. Note, if you are going to use them hunting, be sure to check out rules about it. Here in NE, it is NOT legal to use them hunting deer (probably other things also), if used to give location of animals, etc. CO's DO listen in on these radios also (I am tied in with many CO's, or was prior to Barb passing), and they DO arrest a couple dozen or more people each year simply by using cheap radios in scan mode while they are driving around. When they hear the chatter, they can almost walk right up to where the people are transmitting.

They are pretty cheap, and usually you can pick them up at garage sales in spring/summer for almost nothing.
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lime, ...and a shot of tequila.
dirty fingers
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:48 am

I've found most FRS and GMRS radios made in the last decade or so put out
way less power than the manufacturers claim. (Or they have really crummy
unchangable antennas, either way they don't carry as far as a radio of that
power level should.)

When they first came out they were made a lot closer to spec.

If you can find one with an antenna connector and removable antenna have
somone with an RF power meter check if it's actually putting out anywhere
near the rated power. The other advantage of this is that it comes with a
crummy antenna you can change it out for annother one. I'd be really
reluctant to buy any unit with a built in non-changable antenna.

You might be able to find a commercial two-way radio place that can set
up a commercial grade two-way radio set to the GMRS frequencies. You
are more likely to get full power this way.

Really the best case is to get your ham license and use ham gear but I
know it can be difficult to get everyone in your group to go along with
that. (There are a lot of people that will throw a fit if you use ham gear
without being licensed so it's not worth it.)

Because it's newer I don't know so much about MURS gear.

Thinking a bit outside the law it's not unprecendented for VHF marine
radios to be used on land, and not usually very noticable if you are
nowhere near major bodies of water and stay off the emergency
channel. One warning about this, some of the channels may be
shared with licensed Land-Mobile use. So you'll want to montor
for a while and check local scanner radio directories to avoid any
such shared channels. 5 watt handheld units are available, last
time I looked at them they had standard BNC antenna connectors,
of course that was a long time ago. This last paragraph is just
hypothetically speaking of course. ^_-
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:12 am

For the starter set I went with Motorola MR350R (from Amazon). FRS/GMRS. Don't believe the 35 mile range in practical use - that's a uniform issue for all manufacturers. Radio is all about antenna more than power, and with the limited power of a handheld and limited antennas, unless you've got a repeater in the loop you're typically limited to a mile or two.

Considering getting the basic ham license just as a teaching moment, but that'll have to wait a bit.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About