The Ramen Noodle thread

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

The Ramen Noodle thread

Postby Z00 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:41 pm

I like Ramen Noodles. They are one of the favorite items to stock up on. If someone
shows up at the door hungry, they are a cheap way to send them on their way with
something to fill the stomach. We don't use the flavor packages very often. For one
thing they are too salty for our tastes, but make good spice for other larger items.
Mainly they become an extender in pasta dishes around here.

They have a very long shelf life.

The days of 10 cents a package seem to be gone. Today's bargain price point seems
to be 20 cents.

Where to get them/shipped at that price is an ongoing quest. Sam's club has a 36
pack for cheap, but the closest one to me is about 75 minutes. My current favorite is
Dollar General with free shipping over $25. And if you live in a state that DG doesn't
have a store in, no sales tax.

DG runs a $5 off over $25 on a random basis. It will be online for a day or 2 and
then be gone for a week, and then back.

The current deal came back today. The noodles are a 5 pack for a $1 (.20/ea) with 6
in a case for $6
Here is the plan: Order 5 cases at $30. Take $5 off for the over $25. Net $25 qualifies
for free shipping.

150 packages for $25 = just under 17 cents/ea.

Repeat as wanted.

You know of a better deal del'd to my door? Please post it here.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: The Ramen Noodle thread

Postby frugi » Sun May 05, 2013 7:40 pm

I know of no better deal than that. However, I felt the need to post anyway.

1st. this product no way whatsoever should be considered sustenance, we can call it food, but it is not healthy in any way whatsoever, and possibly damaging to ones health considering the high sodium content, and the highly processed wheat noodles which are treated as straight sugar (which ferments into alcohol) by our bodies during digestion.

2nd. With that said, I do love my ramen noodles, and I stack them as well, I probably have 50 or 60 packages on hand as we speak.

Two types I enjoy most are both made by Maruchan. My favorite is the instant lunch in styrofoam cups, open top fill with boiling water, and wait 5 minutes, and you are good to go. Of this type I only eat the California Vegetable flavor, and the Shrimp flavor. I am a vegetarian, and all other flavors have beef or chicken ingredients. The calif. veg. does contain chicken fat but I believe it is minimal and when consuming this product it is the least of my worries, ramen noodles are more of a comfort food for me than a meal. Also, with these cup meals, I usually always add additional ingredients, such as any frozen or fresh veggie, or mushrooms, or fake meat substitute. I buy these for about $0.39 each which is pricey but worth it for me.

The other type I like is the cheap packs with the powdered flavoring. My favorite flavors are Chili, Spicy Chili, Shrimp, Spicy Shrimp, and Onion. These cost me $0.12 at my local grocery, and I usually boil the noodles, and then drain the water, and sprinkle the powder into the wet noodles and mix it until the powder is dissolved. Rarely will I eat these as they are intended to be, which is as a soup.

I do believe both varities are great prep items, barter items, and awesome for camping, especially the styrofoam ones as they are all inclusive, all you need is a pot to boil water. You can always just drink it straight from the container or even use a stick if no utensils are available. And if you have no pot to boil water that is fine you can also use room temperature water, it just takes longer to become soft, and will be somewhat cold when eating but will do the job.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Sun May 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Try some of the discount stores. Save a lot in NY has them in a six pack for $1. I suppose if you asked to buy them in bulk a local mgr might cut you a deal.

The scouts were selling coupon books for $5. One of the coupons was for Save a lot. Buy $50 and get $5 off. My boys got $2.50 per book for camp and I saved 10% on my groceries. I have lots of coupons for movies, oil changes, fast food as well.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun May 05, 2013 10:00 pm

I eat Ramen and always have a few cases on hand.

As Frugi said, it's a belly filler, but way too salty.

I do feel tired after consuming a pack of ramen.

As a prep item: Maybe a good way to muck down bitter veges or insects, a condiment item.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 am

There are stories (urban legends?) in Japan of poor college students who died of malnutrition because they were eating cup o' noodle 3 times a day.

Speaking of cup o' noodles and a guy who never ate them, I worked on this TV commercial campaign as assistant producer and interpreter. The Japanese director would say something and the actor would wait for me to say it in English.

It's a commercial, 30 seconds long. You have time to enjoy this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTQUZvEfxjI
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Double3 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:17 am

Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon May 06, 2013 1:05 pm

this stuff is loaded with MSG, which is a neuro toxin. very bad for you.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:this stuff is loaded with MSG, which is a neuro toxin. very bad for you.

+1 to this. Food is like the economy. The more I read, the more disgusted I am at the state of things and how much things have gone down hill lately. Also, on both topics, no one cares to be bothered with the truth. Happy to be blissfully ignorant. Eat your twinkies and hot dogs. Go all-in on your 401K. I'll stop here so that this does not turn into an epic rant.

Edit: Sorry to dump on the Ramen thread. It helped me get through College, speaking of ignorance.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Everyone overlooks the part where I say I do not use the spice/flavor packets. That is the source of the high sodium. I am only interested in the noodles.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon May 06, 2013 2:15 pm

good movie.

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon May 06, 2013 3:00 pm

What Happens In Your Body When You Eat Ramen And Gatorade
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/0 ... 63825.html

Make sure you check out the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi_DaJKs ... r_embedded
Copper Catcher

Postby jmaii » Mon May 06, 2013 3:54 pm

If you want to buy ramen in the thousands you may be able to get it from the manufacturer: http://www.nissinfoods.com/

Where are your products made?
We have two manufacturing facilities: Gardena, California and Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Maybe they have a factory store...
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Postby knibloe » Mon May 06, 2013 10:20 pm

jmaii wrote:If you want to buy ramen in the thousands you may be able to get it from the manufacturer: http://www.nissinfoods.com/

We have two manufacturing facilities: Gardena, California and Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Lancaster PA??

Maybe Nate could organize a group buy. :lol:
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby jmaii » Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 am

knibloe wrote:
jmaii wrote:If you want to buy ramen in the thousands you may be able to get it from the manufacturer: http://www.nissinfoods.com/

Lancaster PA??

Maybe Nate could organize a group buy. :lol:

Looked in a business directory and I think I found the factory in PA (appears to have the Nissin logo on the building using Bing Bird's Eye view):

Nissin Foods
2901 Hempland Rd
Lancaster, PA 17601
(717) 291-5901
Manager: Mike Rehrer

SIC Code: 209898 - Macaroni, Spaghetti, and Noodles (Manufacturers)
Location Employees: 279
Square Footage: 40,000+

==========

And the California location with a quite obvious Google Maps Street View confirmation:

Nissin Foods
2001 W Rosecrans Ave
Gardena, CA 90249
(310) 327-8478
President: Ken Sasahara
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Oldpagan » Tue May 14, 2013 1:53 pm

They are good for short term storage, yet not for long term.
The noodles are fried and have an oil content which goes rancid with time. :sick:
Better to store beans, rice, and wheat and use a bit of elbow grease to process them for cooking.
Oldpagan

Postby Nickelless » Sun May 26, 2013 5:48 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:this stuff is loaded with MSG, which is a neuro toxin. very bad for you.

The MSG is primarily in the flavor packets, which I never use. Having said that, I have a few buckets full of packages of ramen noodles that I've vacuum-sealed inside large mylar bags, but I've got easily 50 times the weight in rice than I have in ramen. But if you're intent on diversifying your food storage with ramen, veggies (my favorite are spinach and tomatoes) are chock full of vitamins and will turn your ramen into a sort of vegetable soup. Pretty tasty!
Nickelless

Postby Z00 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:23 am

Yup, don't use the spice packet. The noodles themselves make a good base or extender for other items.

Rice: Just bought a 50# bag from Honeyville Grain.( Got to love their 4.49 flat rate shipping) The problem is that with just 2 of us, we wont use it fast enough. So here's a nice trick. Fill quart canning jars and throw in an O2 absorber which seals it up tight. Now you have long term storage in a smaller size.

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Nickelless » Wed May 29, 2013 4:07 am

Z00 wrote:Yup, don't use the spice packet. The noodles themselves make a good base or extender for other items.

Rice: Just bought a 50# bag from Honeyville Grain.( Got to love their 4.49 flat rate shipping) The problem is that with just 2 of us, we wont use it fast enough. So here's a nice trick. Fill quart canning jars and throw in an O2 absorber which seals it up tight. Now you have long term storage in a smaller size.

Zoo, is there not a Sam's Club near you? Buying the 50-lb. bags of rice at Sam's would be a lot better in terms of OPSEC--the UPS guy won't see that you're getting heavy packages from a food distributor, and whenever I make a purchase from Sam's, I unload everything into my detached garage and wait until after dark to bring items into the house.
Nickelless

Postby frugi » Wed May 29, 2013 7:53 am

Copper Catcher wrote:What Happens In Your Body When You Eat Ramen And Gatorade
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/0 ... 63825.html

Make sure you check out the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi_DaJKs ... r_embedded

Copper, ever wonder what happens when you eat anything processed? Not saying ramen noodles are healthy by any means. Your videos are interesting to watch, I just wonder if that person ingested the a whole bag of ramen noodles without chewing them up. lol. The most important part of digestion starts in the mouth with mastication and the juices from your saliva that break down your food. The worst, most unhealthy thing (called food) in this entire worldly existence is processed wheat. It is poison to humans in any and all forms.

As some on here know I am a vegetarian, I eat mainly raw kale, spinach, various seaweeds, and just about any green veggies. I am not vegan, as I do drink homemade kefir (fermented milk), and I also make my own kombucha (a watery tea made from a homegrown symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast).....I occasionally eat some fish or shellfish, but for the most part I eat only greens, usually raw, with little to no flavorings, dressings or oils. I do eat avocados, and olives, and coconuts as well as almonds, and some other tree nuts.

Everything aside, I wanted to post a video as well,,,,If any of you all eat meat, this is a good one to watch. Enjoy! :lol:
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby cupronickel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks for ruining my barbeque. That movie was awful.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:22 pm

Americans are a bunch of disgusting fatasses because high energy food is cheap.

It's cheap because of the mass production techniques in the video.

But they're animals, that's all.

The catfish I filleted last week were still alive when I did it. Their gills were still pumping when their meatless bodies hit the grinder.

They were kept alive because I punched a fish stringer through their jaw, without anesthesia, they hung in the water for hours. The bass mercifully died during the process.

Let me tell you something. Those fish went from lake to fry-daddy in less than 2 hours. They were awesome.

All that aside. The Chinese fish farms are pretty gross. I heard they grow shrimp in sewer plants.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About