Is Ammo a good investment?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Is Ammo a good investment?

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:51 am

I've been wondering about stacking bricks of .22 ammo and whether it would be a good investment. Does anyone know how well ammo sells at gun shows? Has anyone been buying ammo for long enough to see a price trend? And do you think the price trend would be better or worse than silver/gold?
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Re: Is Ammo a good investment?

Postby justoneguy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 am

Just where were you thinking of buying this 22 ammo?
There is NONE on the store shelfs by me.
there is none to be had mail order that i can find either.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby daviscfad » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:10 am

Sold out everywhere, yes it's good to have
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:20 pm

I live in Canada. Lots to be had here. Just bought 3000 rounds of .22 the other day. Thinking of bringing my stack up to a nice round 10,000.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Good idea. Do it while you can.

I have a decent stash, but wish I had bought a lot more 22 when it was plentiful. As it is I don't want to target shoot any caliber at the moment until I can be sure I can replace it, and I can't replace anything right now. Haven't seen 22 except match grade for months.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby franklin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:01 pm

TPE:
I stacked .22LR before silver and recently cashed in. Over the past 20 years I have accumulated more than I needed but not as much as I wanted.
Went to a small show 2 weekends ago and sold bricks and 550 packs for 12 cents per round which comes to $60 per brick. Gave up to 1/4 of that for it over the years. Took 40 minutes to sell 17,000 rounds to willing buyers. I don't expect it to get cheap again but do expect it to get to $20 per brick in next 2 years and will accumulate again.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 pm

What kind of 22's can you get? Short, Long, long rifle, magnums? It is not available here in the states. I have been buying/selling ammo components for short term gains. Gotta make it while you can. Ammo is a good investment...now is the time to sell.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Right now in Canada we can pick up pretty much any kind of 22. This is what I've been loading up on so far...how do the prices look to you guys in the US?

Winchester 22 Rimfire 36 grain hollow point 1280 FPS generic bulk box - 5.14 cents/round
Winchester 22 Rimfire 36 grain Xpert HV hollow point 1280 FPS bulk box - 5.7 cents/round
Remington 22 Rimfire Golden Bullet 40 grain round nose 1255 FPS carton - 7.4 cents/round
Remington 22 Rimfire Subsonic hollow point 1050 FPS carton - 7.6 cents/round
Remington 22 Rimfire Viper hollow point truncated cone 1410 FPS - 7.6 cents/round
Remington 22 Rimfire Yellow Jacket hollow point truncated cone 1500 FPS - 9 cents/round
Winchester 22 Rimfire Varmint HE 3/1 Segmenting Expansion Bullet - 1435 FPS - 13 cents/round

There is lots of 22 Magnum available. I haven't ever fired it though and didn't check the prices. I heard it is as expensive as .17 HMR, which is selling for about 36 cents/round. Very popular though despite the higher price.

What are your guys thoughts on what is best to load up on?
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:27 pm

No CCI...well beggers cant be choosers....how about loading up and crossing the border and mailing some to Texas...
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm

CCI stingers are the best - they run 10-14 cents per round typically, IIRC.

The volume stuff, remington, winchester, etc is about what you show, at 5-7 cents per. Good for plinking and target.

This of course was back in the good ole days of 4 months ago. Now - nothing on the shelves at all.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:15 pm

CCI Stinger 22 is 0.13 cents/round
CCI Mini-Mag 22 is 7.6 cents/round

You've got to think that given the shortages in the US that we'll have one ourselves by spring/summer. What do you guys think? Will this blow over or is it going to become structural? With the US DHS buying all those bullets it seems like the people are arming up in response. Not good.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:39 pm

keep it dry, and yes it can be.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby silversaddle1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:47 pm

Ammo is a good investment only from a SHTF survival standpoint. If you are just no starting to think about buying some, forget it. Prices are crazy high right now, but will soon be coming back down. As for a bartering item. Ammo will be worth very little. Think of it this way. How many rounds of ammo are out there right now? Billion and billions of rounds. About every home in North America has ammo in it. No, how much gold and silver is out there? Not as much right? So, if you have thousands of rounds of ammo stockpiled, chances are you are not really gonna want to trade your ammo for other ammo. You may indeed want to trade some of your ammo for PM's, as they will always have value.

Yes, I know, ammo will be scarce. Right, but how many years will that take?
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 am

I would say it's a good investment if you have the gun and are stockpiling for yourself. It's a resource that might be limited and/or heavily taxed in the future, so a stockpile would be good. As far as buying and flipping, I probably wouldn't go that route (too many other things to spend my money on), but it might not be a bad idea.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby joefro » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:11 am

22LR is starting to become available again. A few backorders I placed back in the Spring have been filled from various places lately like Midway and Cabelas. A few months ago 22LR was selling on gunbroker for about 2.5x the normal cost so if you had stockpiled a year ago and sold this Spring then yes, it was a good investment.
joefro

Postby bigbubbano23 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:44 pm

its all coming back around, now that the gun law panic has gone down. I think if you buy and sell during panic events then yes you can make decent money that way.
bigbubbano23

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About