Wikipedia Offline

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Wikipedia Offline

Postby didou » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm currently downloading and gartering a lot of book and data that can be useful with the intend of putting it in a USB key drive. In case i don't have access to a fast internet or no internet at all. Even outdated wikipedia for offline use can be a really good thing to have.

Any one of you show any interest in buying a offline copy of wikipedia on a usb key if i choose to offer it ? I'm thinking a few bucks more than the price of the drive and shipping.

The size of wikipedia offline dump is about 6 gig now, english only without images. With a few software to read the database, the index to make search possible and fast i think it will need a 16 gig flash card or usb key. Pretty big to download if you don't have a fast internet connection. Maybe a few useful extra PDF book on it.

Any one have a list of what data you have stored for offline use ? That's may give me some idea while i'm updating mine. My book are currently spread over a dozen of cd/dvd and very few software installer to read it and i don't have wikipedia yet.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Re: Wikipedia Offline

Postby didou » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:49 am

Here what wikipedia offline database look like in BzReader.
May not be as good as the real thing (no image, no version, no users comments, english only) but it surely beat having no data at all.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/1962/wikipediaoffline.png
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nickelless » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:45 am

I got a free PDF writing program from cutepdf.com. I'm making PDFs of all pages and documents that I want to save and am storing them both in my e-mail and on CDs or flash drives. I've got all of my food prep info that I've written and from other sites in PDF form. Makes the files easier to distribute as well.
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby didou » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Nickelless wrote:I got a free PDF writing program from cutepdf.com. I'm making PDFs of all pages and documents that I want to save and am storing them both in my e-mail and on CDs or flash drives. I've got all of my food prep info that I've written and from other sites in PDF form. Makes the files easier to distribute as well.

Thanks for the answer, would you be kind enough to provide me with a list of the files you have ? or even want to share the file content with me ?

I'm also doing that but on a small scale (yet). It's very time consuming and i'm afraid i will miss half of what i would need in the future, that's why i'm trying to pull wikipedia off the internet as a safety relatively reliable backup.

Here a new version i found that sound lot more promising than my first one :

The software and database required no writing access and can be put on a CD/DVD. Image are include and the database is stored in HTML format, meaning you can open it with any browser (internet explorer, firefox, opera, chrome, ...) on any operating system (macintosh, linux, windows, ...) The version i have is out of date and i'm searching for a newer one. You can also increase the text size and print it easily.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About