Grain Mills

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Grain Mills

Postby walt2727 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:29 am

Question for any of you that grind wheat.
I have a back to basics mill that does an okay job on wheat. I run it thru on a coarser setting the first time and then a finer setting for the second pass. It sill come out too coarse to make a nice flat bread for me. I bought it because of the price <$50.
I'm thinking about the Country Living Grain Mill but would like some more feedback on it or other options.
What are you using and how are your results?
Thanks
Walt
walt2727
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Grain Mills

Postby Mossy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:32 pm

No recent experience with mills, and don't recall what I have (It's in my cabin, far from here).

However, stay away from the stone burrs. Flour stays in the pores and it sprouts mold. The bit about stone ground flour not cooking between the burrs? False. The stones act as insulators and trap the heat generated by grinding at the site of the grinding. Iron burrs move the heat away from the grinding site. (I prefer the flavor of the stone ground, because the grain is lightly toasted, but the disadvantage of mold in the burrs mitigates against.)

Good mills are not inexpensive. Don't plan to get by on the cheap. Inexpensive mills will get the job done, but it's a lot of work.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:09 pm

No personal experience yet, but the two hand mills that get good reviews are the "country living" mill and the "wonder junior deluxe".
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thaler » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm glad this subject was brought up. The only "mill" I have is a sausage mill..lol I've been thinking about getting a grain mill myself. I've also heard like the others here, that the country living mill was good.
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Nickelless » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm not sure what model it is, but I got an all-metal grain mill on eBay a few years ago. I haven't used it much yet, but it's a pretty sturdy machine. The metal grinders on eBay at the moment look similar to mine:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_ ... Categories
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mortarman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:46 pm

While I was deployed I got my wife a country living grain mill. Due to some mix up on the supply end, the order was misplaced. When I called them eight weeks after placing the order, they admitted the order was misplaced and gave us the mill and few accessories for free. About $500 worth. I've since met with and have become friends with the mill manufacturer and his family. Great people.

Their mill comes with carbide burrs. Never had to do a double run. Didn't even think about having to until I read this post. Piece of cake to clean and as sturdy as the day is long. The flywheel makes hand cranking the thing pretty easy, though I do recommend the extension handle. And if you're crafty, you can rig it up on a V belt to a motor or stationary bike. Makes it easier for the kiddos to use that way. Can't recommend the mill highly enough. Customer service is the best I've ever encountered, course I've never been given $500 either.

As an aside, Jack has said their business is as strong as it's ever been. He's taking it as a sign of things to come. Godspeed in whatever you choose. And get the spare parts kit and a spare set of burrs. Your great grandchildren will thank you when the first set wears out sometime in the next century.
mortarman

Postby MikeyPooh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:13 pm

I have a country living grain mill, and I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I've only ever played with it one time, and ground maybe a tablespoon of flour. I can say it is well built, very sturdy. You may want to cruise craigslist and try and find a used diamant. From what I have read they are the cream of the crop, but quite pricey!

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Grain_and_Grain_Mills___Diamant_Grain_Mill___525?Args=
MikeyPooh

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About