Cash Crop

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Cash Crop

Postby ardorlan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:25 pm

with a limited amount of land, and equipment, what is the best thing to grow for trade?

Tabacoo leaves?
Carrots?
Wheat that you turn into bread
Sunflowers for Oil?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Cash Crop

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:28 pm

Few questions:

What state, cleared, sloped, ect?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby ardorlan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Wyoming, Cheyenne. 80 feet by 20 feet (total outdoor space) cleared
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby thaler » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Don't know about there, but here in GA. corn has always been good, right on back to the time when settlers first came to America here on the east coast. Hell they're even putting in our gas now(ethanol). When it gets ready to shuck, you can have corn on the cob, or cream it. Grind it up for corn meal, and also use as chicken feed.
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Treetop's the man to consult with on this...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Cash Wise:
Looks like you can grow ginseng. Do your research. Takes 4-10 years to get a crop and you need shade (natural or artificial). But a nice profit could be turned

Other Wise:
Grow what you like to eat.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:41 pm

Cash crop? Poppies? :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Oakair » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:14 pm

beauanderos wrote:Cash crop? Poppies? :?

I would be careful with large plots of them...Ive heard of some unknowing gardeners being raided for their ornamental flowers...

The ginseng is an interesting idea!

Has anyone thought about growing mushrooms? They are quite the hot commodity at high end restaurants (among other places), and with various types available, its easy to diversify...Im not sure if you have the climate for an outdoor plot, but they are mighty easy to grow inside...
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ardorlan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:00 am

I've grown mushrooms before and I would like to do it again, as long as you don't get anything other then the mushrooms growing on your media(sub-stain) they turn out really good. You can grow them in doors with LED lighting, you have to keep the humidity high, and they do not take up much space. Mushrooms is for sure something I want to grow with my kids once they get older, Its very good way to teach them about micro life. When I grew mushrooms I was very CLEAN and careful with my first batch, and 90% of my jars were good.

With my 2nd much larger batch I was allot careful and 80% of my jars got over ran with other micros then the mushrooms.

in regards to growing poppies I would never grow anything that would put my family at risk, ginseng is interesting idea.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby frugi » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 am

grow indoor saffron. sell that to local resteraunts; really good money for that.

in missouri for this growing season i grow/grew this year in my yard blueberries, edible cactus, edible flowers including roses, lavender, sage, cucumbers, onion, green onion, thornless blackberries, brocolli, cauliflower, chocolate peppers, green peppers, habanero peppers, jalapeno peppers, cayenne peppers, raspberries, brussel sprouts, tomatillo's, kale, arugula, mustard greens, corn, sunflower, spearmint, peppermint, lemon balm, tarragon, stevia, yellow squash, zuchinni squash, strawberries, watermelon, and last but not least pumpkins. In addition there at least 40 non-edible plants I have growing in my yard, anything from bamboo to pine trees, and firs, or bushes/shrubs etc. mostly all planted from seed or sapling. It is mostly trial and error, but if you can: avoid commercially steril seeds, buy organic seeds, start indoors, after a few weeks put outside during spring to harden in sunlight, than plant and cross your fingers. Rodents are my biggest enemy, especially squirells and rabbits. Also fluorescent beetles are a bitch!, they eat indiscrimintly, everything from grass to blueberries to trees, shrubs, everything.

I would google what can grow in your area, or grow indoors. A good product is topsy turvy for tomatoes or other vinelike plants such as tomatillos. Totally indoors, hang from ceiling, no rodents, perfect, no mess, no waste, easy to water.

If you want a recommendation I would say become an expert at growing saffron,
I think it sells for hundreds of dollars per ounce.

Grow anything else you can grow for your area, that you are willing to eat. Myself I am mainly 100% vegan, and eat what I grow.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:07 pm

" It takes 75,000 blossoms to produce just a pound of dried saffron threads that wholesale for $70 per ounce."
from http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/2 ... ow-saffron
16 ounces to the pound, means a pound is worth $1,120(if sold in ounces)
75,000 blossoms / $1,120 = 66.9 Blossoms per dollar.

not including trading, and processing time. (its on my grow list though)
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Cash Wise:
Looks like you can grow ginseng. Do your research. Takes 4-10 years to get a crop and you need shade (natural or artificial). But a nice profit could be turned

Other Wise:

Needs to be a hardwood forest?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:31 pm

Mossy wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Cash Wise:

Other Wise:

Needs to be a hardwood forest?

I have some growning under artificial shade in a corner of a field.

Here is a great site to check out. http://www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Gins ... iness.html
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:33 pm

I had a woodlot in the Canadian maritimes a few years back. After clearing around 25 acres I started to think about planting blue spruce Xmas trees, but the new fad was mushrooms. Shitake mushrooms (spelling?)

Ended up selling the property on ebay a year later, so that was that.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby TXTim » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:17 pm

Wyoming?
Not easy to grow much at all there if you're on the high plains.
The small plot would probably yield a decent crop of intensly cultivated medical marijuana!
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Delawhere Jack » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:56 pm

A bit too cold to grow tobacco there, although they do grow it in New England. Root crops and cereal grains are probably best suited to the climate. Check with the state university extension agency, or that of a neighboring -- same latitude state.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:10 pm

I can grow $4K in a 16 square foot area, pays every 4 months. Man I was good!

Please don't ask how ha ha ha ha. Those days are long gone.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:26 am

Wyoming is too far north for tobacco. Also, tobacco is a lot of hard work - not to be un-PC, but there is a reason why people wanted slaves to harvest the tobacco.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:30 am

Corn sounds like a good idea, but maybe you could check the nearest farmer's market and find out what is popular to get ideas.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:24 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:Wyoming is too far north for tobacco. Also, tobacco is a lot of hard work - not to be un-PC, but there is a reason why people wanted slaves to harvest the tobacco.

I detest the stuff, but there are a lot of different varieties, and some grow fairly far north. "Flowering nicontania" is fairly common.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby psi » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Ginseng seems to be catching on in parts of Ontario formerly known for tobacco farming, you see huge fields covered over with shade cloths. Ontario has extremely high taxes on cigarettes so I guess the margins are very slim now. A lot of people just buy black market cigarettes which are generally made from tobacco imported from places like Vietnam from what I've heard.

Personally I am growing some cacti that are fairly slow growing but tend to sell for quite a bit. You can speed them up by grafting and I've been doing some experimenting with that. There are a couple of species of fast growing, small diameter cacti that can be used as rootstocks for grafting seedlings. Sterile technique is pretty important to avoid losses to contamination, as with mushrooms I guess.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About