Thinking of the future.

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Thinking of the future.

Postby Treetop » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:42 pm

I saw threads that indicate, at least a few here are interested in growing food.

wanted to throw some thoughts out there.

you can work on prepping soil, ahead of time. Or just try to collect bags of leaves from the curb, or find someone with animals who will let you clean out their stalls, or start a compost pile. and just stash it in your yard for future use. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want, but you might want to at least get the materials ahead of time. Including locally adapted seeds or some good hand tools.

something else you can do is plant fruits, nuts and berries. This also can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. But they do take a few years to establish. you can find seeds for these things as well, to lower the costs involved majorly.

Are there any active gardeners here?
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Thinking of the future.

Postby Treetop » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:04 am

I guess no one was interested. anyone interested in growing contact me if you want. If you cover shipping, and actually plan to grow some stuff, Ive got free seeds. For tomatoes, and beans of various types, some peas, squashes, root crops, leafy veggies, grains.... etc etc..... Just cover shipping, or send a SASE.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:45 am

I'm definately interested chap, but alas I live in a one bedroom flat with a tiny balcony and no garden. I managed some tomatoes on the balcony last year but hardly sustainable living! :(
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 am

so your just looking to have some seeds stored back for TSHTF type stuff? thats fine, I said it should be grown out, because some of it is 2-3 year old.... while that is still good, germination rates will go down over time. If you keep them dry, and in a fridge theyd still last many years..... In a closet they might have only 2-3, with lower germination at that....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:23 am

pm sent.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About