Hoarding Sugar

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: Hoarding Sugar

Postby adagirl » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:33 pm

great advice. I am curious to learn more about contaiminated honey though. Never heard of that before.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverhalide » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:05 am

I usually buy a one year supply during Thanksgiving which typically have the lowest prices of the year for sugar and flour.
silverhalide

Postby Mossy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:43 am

adagirl wrote:great advice. I am curious to learn more about contaiminated honey though. Never heard of that before.

Leave a table cloth over a picnic table for a few days. Wipe it with a damp rag.

What keeps that dust out of the flower?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby didou » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Mossy wrote:
adagirl wrote:great advice. I am curious to learn more about contaiminated honey though. Never heard of that before.

Leave a table cloth over a picnic table for a few days. Wipe it with a damp rag.

What keeps that dust out of the flower?

I don't think that matter at all. The flower pollen is actually eaten by the bee, process into complex sugar inside and spit out after. Any dust or heavy metal wouldn't make it to the honey.

Mossy wrote:Where do bees get their nector? How do you know how far each bee flew to get it?

You can actually control where the bees goes. Don't ask me how it's done, but they do it. You can buy cloverleaf, buckwheat, taraxacum or blueberry honey that come exclusively from these flower, nothing added it's pure honey. My local honey beekeeper made them they are amazing. Each one has his own color and taste, it add variety.

If you're really afraid you can buy it certified organics. It's about the same price, sometime cheaper. CAD$4.79/375 g as opposed to regular for CAD$4.39/375 g here at the nearest groceries.

Honey is a lot more safer than refined white sugar. They used chlorine (bleach) to whiten and clean the sugar. Refined white sugar, like any other processed food is the #2 cause of cancer in Canada. Honey is a complex sugar that really feed the brain unlike refined white sugar who only cause diabetes over time. Plus it's easier to digest and do not contain only sugar but actual nutriment.

I don't even know where to start to point out that refined sugar is one of the worst thing you can eat. Along with too much salt and bad fat. I don't think there is a single research that say it can be good for your health. Honey on the other hand has been proven healthy for a few thousand years of human consumption. If you have to choose between the 2, honey is the way to go.

The only real danger of honey is young children eating it. It may paralyze or kill them. We aren't born with what's needed to digest it, it come at around 1 or 2 years old.

Other than that it don't get more safer or healthier than honey.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:10 pm

Well, I know there is this huge pro-honey anti-sugar (sucrose) lobby in the world (and I'm all for honey - have numerous bottles in storage, use it daily). But honey's primary advantage (apart from flavor) is that you use less of it to get the same sweetening, because honey's sweetners are mostly mono-sugars fructose and glucose, and fructose specifically has nearly twice the perceived sweetening on the tongue as sucrose.

Honey may have the additional trace benefits you note, and I like to hope for those, but they are mostly anecdotal.

Sucrose is actually in fact a bi-sugar which is fructose and glucose attached to each other, and when it is initially digested the molecule comes apart into the two components, fructose and glucose, literally the same thing as honey, and are digested as such. Where all this negative press against sucrose came from I don't know. Certainly we eat too much of it, and we need to scale that down and back by a large factor. But sugar (sucrose) is a great thing, in moderation.

And honey and sucrose/sugar have essentially the same glycemic index; and that is no wonder - because they are digested the same.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:53 pm

I have a few pounds of sugar I use for smoking fish, and that's it. No honey, either.

http://www.beeswaxco.com/howbeesMakeHoney.htm

Pollen is "bee bread".
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Whinstone » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:47 am

I prefer honey over sugar too. It is because of these little brown bugs that like our sugar. The wife dosen't like the bugs even though they are full of protein. We store our supplies in the basement. The bugs like other things as well...like rice. They can't get into the honey jars or the peanut butter jars. I think we could live along time just on honey and peanut butter. We have other can foods that will see us though. We live in the city and I have a BB gun to shot pigeons and other birds. There is a creek not far away that has small carp and bream. But I like my honey....because well ....John the Baptist liked it. I have other friends like Smith and Wesson. I figure family will be coming over when they find out we have food. WE will feel safer with numbers. My biggest concern is my wife who is not in good health and the first hard winter won't fare well with her. I have gotten alot of good ideas from you guys and have learned alot.
Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you. You will only double trouble and trouble others too.........anonymous
Whinstone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Nickelless » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:35 am

Mossy wrote:I have a few pounds of sugar I use for smoking fish, and that's it. No honey, either.

So what are you waiting for? :?:
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Nickelless wrote:
Mossy wrote:I have a few pounds of sugar I use for smoking fish, and that's it. No honey, either.

So what are you waiting for? :?:

Can't stand sweet food any more. I've even stopped using sugar in my fish brine.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About