What are your biggest prepping mistakes?

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Re: What are your biggest prepping mistakes?

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:45 pm

treetop wrote:Have you ever studied various communes and groups who come together for similar goals? There are scores of issues much harder to solve then I can forsee me ever facing, minus general safety of course. That is the only real issue I see, more people together are safer if things ever degraded enough more people went to similar lifestyles.

My worst issue would be clothing, but I can cover that as well. serviceable clothing for sure, Id just look pretty funny. wouldnt change my quality of life though.

I have just started the study of groups who come together for similar goals. 9 of 10 fail. The one of ten that make it all seem to have common things they have done before, during and after the process. Right now, this is the focus of study.

The wife was just invited to attend a meeting of the weavers guild in Orange County, CA. A subunit of that are the clothing weavers and are the one's having the meeting. Hope she learns a lot over Easter vacation.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Re: What are your biggest prepping mistakes?

Postby Nickelless » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:33 pm

johnbrickner wrote:
treetop wrote:Have you ever studied various communes and groups who come together for similar goals? There are scores of issues much harder to solve then I can forsee me ever facing, minus general safety of course. That is the only real issue I see, more people together are safer if things ever degraded enough more people went to similar lifestyles.

My worst issue would be clothing, but I can cover that as well. serviceable clothing for sure, Id just look pretty funny. wouldnt change my quality of life though.

I have just started the study of groups who come together for similar goals. 9 of 10 fail. The one of ten that make it all seem to have common things they have done before, during and after the process. Right now, this is the focus of study.

Communes as a unit are probably less stable than a bunch of friends or family members in close proximity but not in a formal group setting. Maybe the colonial-era Minutemen would be a good example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minutemen
Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Previous

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About