Long-Term Storage Recipes thread

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Long-Term Storage Recipes thread

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:59 am

It's been time to start challenging my stock of long-term storage foods to ensure they are not just edible but enjoyable, so that I can be sure I know what I like the most to stock more of, and what to never buy again.

At Thanksgiving I made a Rhubarb pie using mostly (not entirely) long-term storage stock. Turned out delicious - the crust got rave reviews. I'll follow up with that one later - the secret is the crust and how to deal with the fruit - the fruit itself could be anything, if you don't care for Rhubarb.

Today I opened up four cans of FD or dehydrated items to make a casserole for dinner. Chopped onions, shredded potatoes, whole eggs, and sausage crumbles. To this (and appropriate application of water to bring these back to life) I added a couple of cans of diced green chiles and some non-storage shredded cheese (wasn't willing to go all the way on this yet by using FD cheese). Just pulled it out of the oven, looks great, and if it tastes decent I'll post the details later.

Suggest that here anyone else who is cooking with at least predominately (or entirely) FD or dehyrdated items post their favorite recipes, describe how well it turned out (or not) and note their source of supply if other than their own dehydration.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About