Antibiotics

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Antibiotics

Postby wheeler_dealer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:02 am

This past week I have been under the weather. I finally bit the bullet and went to the doctors after four days of over the counter meds not helping. Diagnosis bacterial infection in lungs. Solution Z pack, steroid inhaler, tussin.
What happens in chaotic times when we need antibiotics and are unable to obtain them?
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Antibiotics

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:29 am

I have wondered the same thing. If the supply line gets interrupted where will I get my heart medicine and where will my daughter get her insulin?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:03 pm

the biggest prepping fear that I have is dialysis for my wife
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Sourcing medicine and medical care could prove difficult in a troubled environment. One thing I have considered is building a library of books about alternative medicine and homeopathic cures. This coupled with a store of in demand barter goods could be enough to get help in times of need. Not all medical professionals or pharmacist are prepping.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 pm

Well, if the "Ring of Fire" psuedo history series has any validity, chloramphenicol can be made in a simple lab. (The RoF series is a fairly open fantasy universe that has drawn experts in many fields who like to play with "what people then could have been done then, given what we know now".)

Some idiots (today) are discussing using it to treat wild frogs for that fungus wiping them out. Oh, man. Talk about irresponsible. That would for sure result in antibiotic resistant bacteria. Fools.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugi » Sun May 05, 2013 7:08 pm

knibloe wrote:the biggest prepping fear that I have is dialysis for my wife

I would be on that like flies on honey, before any pm's or bullet, or gun or food preps.....

http://www.dotmed.com/listing/dialysis-machine/b-braun/dialogue/623617?utm_source=base&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=Base&gclid=CMuXxaCYgLcCFQsy4AodBEcAYQ
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Sun May 05, 2013 7:21 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:Sourcing medicine and medical care could prove difficult in a troubled environment. One thing I have considered is building a library of books about alternative medicine and homeopathic cures. This coupled with a store of in demand barter goods could be enough to get help in times of need. Not all medical professionals or pharmacist are prepping.

i have also considered this aspect and built up a library myself of everything from home remedies, to Amish cure-alls, to medical journals, antique books on medicine, emergency medicine, third world medicine, first aid, Native American cures, just about anything on the topic of disease, medicine and health.

also, I try and use the least amount of anti-bacterial anything in my life as much as possible, so i may build up an immunity naturally. My wife and I make natural kefir and kombucha from scratch and consume it daily which keeps our bodies full of good probiotic living , active bacteria.

as much control by govt on antibiotics, one must consider probiotics which has little to no regulation, and can be grown at home for little cost.

I noticed recently Curad has come out with a antibiotic external salve similar to Neosporin, except it contains pure silver, I believe 55 ppm's, I have some of that, and am looking to getting some colloidal silver as well. One must also remember some of the greatest antibiotics in the world are found in the form of plants that can be grown legally in every state in your home or back yard. As well, as growing the herbs, and plants, you can find supplements for many of them in pill form from natural grocers. :)
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sun May 05, 2013 7:30 pm

frugi wrote:I noticed recently Curad has come out with a antibiotic external salve similar to Neosporin, except it contains pure silver, I believe 55 ppm's

The curad stuff works great. I halfway chopped off a finger with hedge trimmers, and it was a really dirty and jagged wound. Used the silver solution on it, kept it wrapped up, and there were absolutely no signs of infection.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun May 05, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm on two blood pressure meds and an anti-gout one. Monitoring my own blood pressure carefully, I decreased the amount of dosage I take daily to three-fourths of the prescription, and have now, over several months, built up a three month supply of "extra" meds. Of course, the smartest tactic would be to lose weight and eat properly to maintain lower pressures without the aid of pills... but. :roll:

It has also been fairly extensively proven that most medications don't "expire." Every time they throw "expired" antibiotics away at work I make sure to retrieve them for potential home use. Many hospitals used to donate them to third-world countries until the pharmaceuticals companies started complaining. My mom used to accompany missionary doctors to Mexico as an interpreter and they treated thousands of patients. A "past date" drug, just like alot of foods, is better than nothing.

knibloe... I'm a dialysis nurse. If your wife isn't on a transplant list yet, do everything you can to get her on one. It usually takes five to six years of wait time.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby knibloe » Sun May 05, 2013 8:21 pm

frugi wrote:
knibloe wrote:the biggest prepping fear that I have is dialysis for my wife

I would be on that like flies on honey, before any pm's or bullet, or gun or food preps.....

http://www.dotmed.com/listing/dialysis-machine/b-braun/dialogue/623617?utm_source=base&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=Base&gclid=CMuXxaCYgLcCFQsy4AodBEcAYQ

Thanks for the info. I have not looked into it, but will soon/now

Ray,
My wife has been on the list for almost 5 years. The transplant team is currently looking very hard for a reason to delist her. They keep sending her for more tests that she doesn't need hoping that she will fail one. The real problem is that since her parathyroid operation, her blood pressure has been chronically low. She doesn't suffer any side effects of the low pressure, but the transplant team doesn't want to do it with low pressure.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About