Canadian Dollar bout to leapfrog USD

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Canadian Dollar bout to leapfrog USD

Postby UDEric » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:53 am

Just taking a quick look at the conversion charts on Kitco...looks like 1 USD = 1.0078 CAD. Just a week ago 1 USD = 1.03 or 1.04 in CAD.

The market, gold and silver continue to go up up up, while the USD index continues to go down down down. When the dust settles who knows where it will all be.
"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth"

"No army can stop an idea whose time has come"
UDEric
Penny Collector Member

Re: Canadian Dollar bout to leapfrog USD

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:21 am

Glad I have been saving all that Canadian money I find while roll searching.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:32 am

You mean to say "the Canadian dollar is aboot to leapfrog the USD", eh? :P
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:29 pm

WOW. I remember when the CAD was worth .70 cents US. Also I think the Australian Dollar has gained about 10% on the USD over the past few months and the Swiss franc is now worth almost $1.05.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Delawhere Jack » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:46 pm

I've been watching the Can/USD ratio for many months now. It seems to me that some "invisible force" is holding the Canadian $ back. It -- and the Aussie $ --should have driven past the USD by now. I'm also wishing that I had put a big chunk of cash into Canadian 5-6 months ago....

Canada, and Canadian banks are in much better shape that their southern neighbors.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:51 pm

theo wrote:WOW. I remember when the CAD was worth .70 cents US. Also I think the Australian Dollar has gained about 10% on the USD over the past few months and the Swiss franc is now worth almost $1.05.

the two currencies im hoarding ... :)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:02 am

aloneibreak wrote:
theo wrote:WOW. I remember when the CAD was worth .70 cents US. Also I think the Australian Dollar has gained about 10% on the USD over the past few months and the Swiss franc is now worth almost $1.05.

the two currencies im hoarding ... :)

The two currencies Crazy Ray is hoarding... Silver and Gold Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby horgad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:18 am

"I've been watching the Can/USD ratio for many months now. It seems to me that some "invisible force" is holding the Canadian $ back. "

That invisible force would be Canada itself. Canada exports a lot of manufactured goods to the US and they will lose a bunch of jobs (mostly automotive) if they let the Canadian dollar get too strong. The "problem" is Canada sells a lot of commodities (way more percentage wise than the US) and those commodities sales are keeping their books looking good and driving their currency up. So they intervene because of pressure from the manufacuring sector who wants as weak of a currency as possible...

My guess would be that Canada will continue to try to follow our currency down while at the same time (if they are smart) trying to open up more export markets for manufactured goods outside of the US. At some point it will likely become too painful to try and keep up with the slide in the US dollar. At which point they will cease intervening and let the chips fall where they may (stronger CAN dollar and lose of some jobs). (Some good news being those jobs might come back to the US assuming that there is any US economy left at that point.)

By the way, you can walk into just about any bank in Canada and open an account as a US citizen. They have everything set up with the US IRS to handle these types of accounts...

Australia too has a lot going for it...commodity exports and they are located close to the people who want them (Chinese). I am not sure how strong their motives are to keep their currency weak...not as in tune with their story as with Canada's.
horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions