Pennies Provide Hope At Local College

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Pennies Provide Hope At Local College

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:31 pm

SALINAS, Calif. -- A college president who years ago used a single penny to inspire her through a difficult time in her life is passing it forward to her students.

Diagnosed with precancer, and recently divorced, Maria Embry was on welfare while trying to raise her six children.

She was about to give up and end it all.

"I hit rock bottom," the current Salinas Heald College president said.

Then Embry's son gave her hope with a single penny.

"He said I found this penny with my friend while walking back from school. I'll give it to you," Embry said.

Nearly 20 years later, Embry is paying it forward, giving pennies to incoming students at Heald College.

"I finally get to give it back," Embry said at Monday night's Heald College graduation.

Embry is asking students to return their pennies once they graduate so they can pass it on to incoming students who may be struggling outside the classroom.

Transito Lobato, a security guard who also realized he needed a change, was one of those students passing on a penny at Monday's graduation.

"That's an amazing story, what a penny can do for a person," Lobato said.

Incoming students at Heald College will get their own pennies on Thursday.

Embry said the idea is that the pennies, and her story, will inspire the new students and provide a beacon for hope.

Source: http://www.ksbw.com/r/25287695/detail.html
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Pennies Provide Hope At Local College

Postby Thogey » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Excuse me while I throw up.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Pennies Provide Hope At Local College

Postby Rosco » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:33 pm

I wonder what percent of the incoming class speaks ENGLISH :?: :?:

Could be as high as 10 % :lol: :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions