Penny death march continues

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Penny death march continues

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:26 pm

OTTAWA — Killing the lowly penny was a painless, revenue-neutral adventure for New Zealand, according to a finance official from that country.

The Kiwis cut out their one- and two-cent coins in 1989. It was such a popular move, they scrapped the nickel, too, in 2006.

Alan Boaden, who heads New Zealand’s Reserve Bank currency department, spoke at the Senate’s national finance committee Wednesday by videoconference.

“The one- and two-cent coins had lost their value and no longer had any effective purchasing power,” Boaden said, adding that, as in Canada, the coins had become more costly to produce than they were worth.

“So it was a relatively straight-forward exercise” to withdraw them, he said.

The committee has been studying the fate of the now plated copper coin since last spring, and is expected to report its findings to Finance Minister Jim Flaherty in the next few months.

The Canadian penny costs 1.5 cents to produce, and Flaherty himself has conceded that doesn’t make any sense and the coin’s days are numbered.

Even coin collectors agreed Wednesday the penny isn’t useful as currency anymore.

The managing editor of the Canadian Coin News and the Ottawa-area director of the Royal Canadian Numismatic (coin collecting) Association also testified at committee Wednesday.

The only caveat for collectors is that the penny keep its legal tender status for interest.

Indeed, Canada’s 50-cent coin is still legal tender, as are the $1 and $2 bills.

The NDP’s Pat Martin, who has introduced a private member’s bill to scrap the penny, is hopeful the Senate committee’s study of its fate marks the beginning of the end for the worthless coin.

“The jig is up for the lowly penny,” Martin said. “They cost more to make than they’re worth, they’re a nuisance, and they have no commercial value.

“Three strikes and you’re out.”

The one-cent coin was introduced in 1908, but it has lost 98% of its purchasing power since then.

There are currently about 30 billion Canadian pennies in circulation, but the Royal Canadian Mint has to make about 500 million new ones every year because so many are thrown in fountains, lost in couches or hoarded in piggy banks.

Lined up flat side by side, there are enough Canadian pennies in circulation to go around the world more than 12 times.

A 2007 Wilfred Laurier University study found using the penny costs the Canadian economy more than $100 million a year in lost productivity counting it, rolling it, waiting in line while other people count them, and so on.

And Bank of Canada officials have said no one should worry about price hikes if the penny dies because prices wouldn’t change.

Rounding up or down to the nearest nickel would only apply at the final sale – which could include many items — and also would only apply to cash purchases.

Credit card and debit transactions would not be rounded because pennies don’t physically exist in credit or debit transactions anyway.

Prices in New Zealand are still marked in one-cent increments, Boaden said, and market forces have kept prices low and encourage retailers to be fair in their rounding policy.

Sweden scrapped its two lowest-denomination coins in the early 1970s.

Australia also dropped its one- and two-cent coins from circulation in 1992, and is currently considering dropping its nickel as well.

Source: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/20 ... newscanada
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Penny death march continues

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:36 pm

"Even coin collectors agreed Wednesday the penny isn’t useful as currency anymore."

Time to hunt those lossers down and beat them up with a sock full of pennies.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:"Even coin collectors agreed Wednesday the penny isn’t useful as currency anymore."

Time to hunt those lossers down and beat them up with a sock full of pennies.

Do you guys think it's time to stock up on brinks boxes?

When cents get banned I'd imagine they will be locked down pretty quick. They really are a pain in the ass for everyone...

except for us.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:59 pm

It never hurts to be "backed up" with pennies.

I am backed up about $200 right now.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:09 pm

When the penny is discontinued we will still be able to turn it in to the banks (remain legal tender) so it would make sense to stack as many boxes away as you can afford, even without sorting them. Copper % is still pretty high in Canada anyway. Sort out later and dump the steel when the penny is banished.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:06 am

I wish I could stock up on cents but it locks up too much of my silver searching capital. Hmm, maybe I should convert some of my other holdings to unsearched cents.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions