Like A Thief In The Night

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Like A Thief In The Night

Postby Country » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: Like A Thief In The Night

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:06 pm

So when the US dollar goes to the toilet... say $1 2010 frn = $100.....I should convert some of my PM holdings into FRNs and pay down debt.

No more student loans or house payment!!
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Like A Thief In The Night

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:48 am

It should. Globalization off-shored the bulk of our industrial base. In 1959, manufacturing accounted for 30%+/- of U.S. economic output. In 2008, it was 11%+/-. The United States lost 32% of its manufacturing jobs since 2000. Manufacturing employment in the U.S. computer industry is now lower today than it was in 1975. Asia produces 84% of all printed circuit boards. The United States has lost 42,000+/- factories since 2001. In 2008, 1.2 billion cellphones were sold, none were made here.

I see Caterpillar is expanding their manufacturing in China from 11 plants to 12 in order to build mini hydraulic excavators. More jobs, more output lost for the U.S. When I saw the first assembly lines leave General Electric and go offshore in the early '70's, I never dreamed that the day would come that the U.S. definition of manufacturing would be the building of a sandwich.

:(
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions