Amazon buys Whole Foods

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Amazon buys Whole Foods

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:45 am

We've shopped at Whole Foods for the past 20 years. Interesting to see them get bought up by Amazon. Maybe, just maybe, those CoinStar vouchers good for Amazon will be useable for Whole Foods eventually. No more hitting up the bank coin counters to deposit coins as much. I can walk into the local Shaws or Hannaford at 9 PM at night and get a voucher good for 100% of the coins I need to get rid of.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Amazon buys Whole Foods

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:51 am

The attractive feature of WF is some otherwise hard to find products; otherwise I call them "expensive foods". They just built a new store nearer to us and they are now more convenient to include in our shopping circle, and we do go there for things we can't easily get elsewhere - and they have shuttered one of the locations of a smaller local high-end specialty grocer who lost sales to them - but for us they are still a minority player.

However, in the post-boomer market, WF seems to have a cult-like following. Not sure about the price paid/value, but I think the buy strategy was brilliant. I just wouldn't have thought they would have put themselves up for sale, but it just goes to show that everyone has a price.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:26 am

Agreed, expensive foods. We don't do Whole Foods.

This summer we opted in to a local CSA (community supported agriculture) pay as you go with nothing up front. Pick up is about 1/4 mile from our house or the regional farmers market about 2 miles away. A share for two people of produce ($24) is a week's abundance for a family of four with two teens. No middle men, grower direct, local community employed. The money stays local and studies I've read (all research can be skewed) show almost 90% of local farmers' outlay is spent local and not to corporate headquarters located god knows where.

The only thing I can think of that's better is homegrown.

I'm sure Treetop has additional details on this subject thru his expert eyes.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby DTEJD1997 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:00 am

Hey all:

I think AMZN buying WFM is largely "much ado about nothing". In my neck of the woods, there are a few WFM. There are a lot more Trader Joes. Trader Joes, Aldi, Kroger, Costco and a few locals is where I shop. It has been over a year since I've been to a WFM. WFM does a good job, good service, excellent products, silly prices though. It also used to be that WFM had VERY hard to find items....now? Not so much. Kroger has a LOT of what I went to WFM for. Trader Joe's has most everything else at maybe 60% of the price...

NOBODY in my social circle OR family shops at WFM more than 1 time per year....many of them never.

I've seen studies showing that WFM maybe has 1% of the food market...it could be, but I very much doubt that.

Also consider that their competitors are NOT standing still...none of them. Lidl is also now in the USA market. If WFM(AMZN) wants market share, they are going to have to fight for it.
DTEJD1997
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions