Real unbias news?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Real unbias news?

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Is there such a thing as truthful reporting without a biased perspective? I am so tired of reading one side of a debate and then the other just to whittle out the common ground truth. It's just a big waste of time! Everybody has an agenda for which they are either pandering to or pushing upon an audience. I'd like to find an outlet of simple boring fact-based reporting. Keep the opinion to the people who need to feel good about their viewpoints. Is there anything out there in media land like this?

</rant>
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: Real unbias news?

Postby natsb88 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Rarely.

natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:50 pm

And of course even that very interesting graphic - I do like the concept - is itself hyperpartisan.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm with you at least in the weariness. In the end for anything that really matters you have to research. Don't read about a speech - listen to it yourself. Of course it's a time killer so you'll have to find people that you trust to be your filters for the less critical topics.

It pretty much sucks that most of the media is ridiculous. Near zero credibility for me. No that would be over stating it. I now presume they are lying. I've watched many events live and then listened to coverage of the event later on numerous channels and been stopped cold. What did they just say? Did I miss something? (I rewatch the event.) Nope - they just out and out lied on national TV without blinking an eye and there is no one left to call them on it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby gabed99 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Try Washington Journal on C Span. 6am-9am cst
gabed99

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:34 am

I haven't tried that, but will see if the satellite radio link that I think points to it works this morning.

I have to say that the wife and I have increasingly moved to watching major events on C-SPAN versus any network as superior unfiltered product. Regardless of the worldview of the source I get tired of them focusing more on their on-air personalities and guest than the event, and talking over the events.
68Camaro

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 am

Good luck with humans being unbiased. I kinda chuckle at that chart above. It seems extremely biased. Who created it?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:22 am

blackrabbit wrote:Good luck with humans being unbiased. I kinda chuckle at that chart above. It seems extremely biased. Who created it?

LOL probably someone connected to one of the groups in the middle circle.

Honestly, seems to me now would be the perfect time to invest in an honest media source. Lots of people would stick with their biased stuff, but respect for media is at all time lows, and more people associate with the middle then ever. I cant even find a solid web based media source or youtube channel like this. Which honestly seems off. Seems like a totally open market.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:00 pm

I'm hearing "some" good news lately on our local. I've waited over two decades for someone to start doing this. Honest and non-biased? What a concept!
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:05 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Good luck with humans being unbiased. I kinda chuckle at that chart above. It seems extremely biased. Who created it?

Lots of different versions of that chart floating around. Here is another.

natsb88

Postby natsb88 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:06 pm

natsb88

Postby Treetop » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:53 pm

I laughed hard seeing drudge report listed as garbage right. His page is an aggregate source that produces almost no news on its own, that links many hard left sites daily and covers most major stories. Certainly biased, but not garbage. All three versions of that chart had major glaring issues imo. Any story I consider important I read from several sources and have no idea how any of these charts had any major source in the middle column.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Of course these charts are subjective. You would have to come up with a grading scale and analyze a large number of articles and news pieces and commentary pieces from each source to plot this stuff quantitatively, and even that would be subject to the bias of the individual grading the news pieces. Make it a blind test as much as possible, multiple people gather content and present it to multiple graders with no source or author names on the articles or transcripts. Sounds like an interesting project...

Drudge is an aggregator but shows clear bias in the curated content he promotes. I tend to agree that "garbage right" is off base, but there is no doubt that he is biased pretty hard to the right.

Reading multiple pieces from multiple sources on both sides is usually the only practical way to paint a picture of what is actually going on, short of being on the front line yourself.
natsb88

Postby daviscfad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Hey, where does wikileaks fall into this chart at? On the left 9 years ago, and now a slow drift to the right?
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AuStruck » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm

The only one that approaches neutral is C-SPAN. I cannot watch it anymore because I'm off of cable.

"News" sources are not enough to be informed. Many significant facts are never reported on "the news". For example: Is it good advice to stay away from "sketchy" neighborhoods? What are some theories on "sketchy"? Some facts don't fit "the narrative", PC or otherwise.

Another example: Why did AIDS never strongly crossover to heterosexuals in the USA but did in Africa? This is OLD NEWS but hardly known. (Possibly) "The truth": Women prostitutes in Africa are often infected with multiple diseases, as are their clients making AIDS transmission far easier. AIDS doesn't transmit easily from women to men through sexual contact in western countries where levels of other STDs and infections are relatively low.

The Internet now provides sources of alternate information and theories. But proceed with caution.

Unz.com is one gateway to alternative sources. It would probably be regarded as right or even far right leaning even though leftists are present there as well. Be aware that at first it may not seem obvious that Steve Sailor, the most prolific blogger there is often satirical or cynical. He and others there will often reference ideas that may be unfamiliar at first, such as criticisms of "Invade the world, invite the world". There are other sources, probably many I've never heard of.
AuStruck
Penny Pincher Member

Postby wolvesdad » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:00 pm

I 90% dont watch, follow or care about news anymore. So far I haven't fallen off the face of planet earth. I get some of the important stuff from 2nd hand.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:10 pm

I stopped getting the news paper and watching the TV news literally, decades ago because there was no good news to be had and didn't want my mind (or my kids minds) cluttered with all the negative content. Still listen to the radio which can be timely with really important stuff (i.e. 9/11). If I'm really feeling like I want to know more details on a subject or happening, I'll look it up on the internet and sift thru the information properly.

I "haven't fallen off the face of planet earth" either :) so news avoidance seems to work for more than just me. Perhaps more of us should do the same?
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:12 pm

No offense to police officers, but I don't care for time being spent on the national news about some guy 1,000 miles away who is on the loose after shooting a police officer. And then to embellish the story they get someone whose a really good crier to answer the question- "What do you think about what happened today?" Predictably, what follows is buckets of tears.

If I was in the same county the man on the loose would be worth broadcasting, but not 1,000 miles away.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby JadeDragon » Thu May 04, 2017 11:20 am

natsb88 wrote:Image

The first version was created by a CNN hater (Trump?) this one is more accurate
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Fri May 05, 2017 3:23 pm

I still dont get how the drudge report could be "garbage right". They have links up from far lefty sources daily. Im not aware of other major sources that do anything close to that. Including other aggregate sources Ive found.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Tue May 09, 2017 6:31 am

daviscfad wrote:Hey, where does wikileaks fall into this chart at? On the left 9 years ago, and now a slow drift to the right?
Wikileaks is not Right/Left. They publish whatever verifiable information that they can get that will damage corrupt bastards.

And to the various graphics in the thread... they are all garbage. Maybe even worse garbage than the garbage being put out by those populating the charts.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:40 am

NHsorter wrote:
daviscfad wrote:Hey, where does wikileaks fall into this chart at? On the left 9 years ago, and now a slow drift to the right?
Wikileaks is not Right/Left. They publish whatever verifiable information that they can get that will damage corrupt bastards.

We have no way of knowing that they "publish whatever verifiable information that they can get." We only see what they actually release. It is possible (very likely) that they are sitting on much more information than they choose to release, and we also saw from the DNC emails that they do choose to throttle the release of documents with strategic timing. I think Wikileaks has provided us with very important information about partisan corruption and government overreach that implicates individuals from all political backgrounds, and I am glad they have exposed what they have exposed, but I'm not under any illusion that the Wikileaks organization is totally neutral or publishes every piece of dirt they get their hands on. They have their own goals and they release information in a strategic manner.
natsb88

Postby Thogey » Tue May 09, 2017 9:13 am

It is impossible to deliver unbiased news.

1,000,000 people could witness an event and each come away with something different.

No one here could do it, unless you only delivered the W's on a randomly selected topic.

It's just part of the human experience.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Tue May 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Perfect example.

The reporting about the MMIII FOTE shots from Vandenberg:

Those missiles were picked years ago. It is a huge pain in the ass!. They are picked at random, moved to Vandenberg and launched east to west. Major effort to get this to work.

These tests are normal, I knew plenty of guys who did them. They have nothing to do with Korea.

The reports of the shots is unbiased and accurate. But it is news only because of the current situation. Bias
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Treetop » Tue May 09, 2017 2:34 pm

With wikileaks I expect NHsorter is right, and yes they do try to time releases for the most impact. Some have claimed for instance they work with russia, perhaps not realizing that they put out alot of embarrassing things on russia/putin in the past. Most involved in that organization are known lefties. There could still be some bias there, but they have went against a wide range of nations and both sides of the political isle, who knows what they might get and never post but they seem to mostly just care about corruption. The original documents that came out just as hillary won the democratic nomination were already public btw. Put out by some small group no one pays attention to.

While thogey is ultimately right I do think there is still major room for improvement within that.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions