Anyone Else Buying Cisco? GM Opinions?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Anyone Else Buying Cisco? GM Opinions?

Postby stateofmind » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:58 pm

Well I am officially invested in Cisco as of today. :)
After their big decline recently I decided to make a long term investment(for me, at least :lol: ) and see if I can hold on to them until I head off to college in two years. Picked it up @ 19.58. Cisco is a great company with strong management and many patents, and with this huge decline recently I picked some up on sale.

Also;
What do you guys think about GM's IPO? What do you think about the short/long term opportunities this one has?
stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Anyone Else Buying Cisco? GM Opinions?

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:10 pm

I have owned cisco more than a half a dozen times....always lost....hahahahah.

I will never own it again.....If I go to buy I will let you know so you can sell and lock in your gains.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby agmoose » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:21 pm

I've owned and lost on Cisco in the past too.

I'll never buy anything GM in any form or fashion. (Chrysler either.)
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rickygee » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:39 pm

No GM. No Chrysler.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby RickS » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:46 pm

Personal opinions here:

I'm an IT guy (director at a fortune 25 org). I've used Cisco stuff for 15+ years. They're not the only player in the game anymore. As equipment ages and needs to be replaced, it's not so cut and dry to just say "Let's buy Cisco again". For that reason, I'm not in. I like some other things in the tech world - NetApp (been a proponent of their storage technology for almost 7 years) and F5. Ever wonder how big companies keep their internet facing systems "online" all the time? Look no further than F5.

Autos - I'll keep my $ in Ford. No bailout - turned around their lineup (check out where the Fusion lands on Consumer Reports' ratings). It was down to $2 just a few years back and $16.xx today. Hell, it was $10 not that many months ago... Regardless of the spike, I think it's long term projections are what counts. Look at their past few annual/quarterly reports, and you'll see tremendous reduction in debt. Debt free these days is something to be proud about!!!
RickS
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Beau » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:15 pm

I don`t own any stock anymore, if I can`t hold it in my hand I don`t want it.

I`am debt free now, with a wagon full of PM.

anyone not in my shape, had better get that way fast, just look at what is

comming. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

it feels good.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Beau wrote:.
I don`t own any stock anymore, if I can`t hold it in my hand I don`t want it.

I`am debt free now, with a wagon full of PM.

anyone not in my shape, had better get that way fast, just look at what is

comming. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

it feels good.

Nice one, add a little panic to my day! :cry:

;)
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverhalide » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:49 am

I have a few reasons why I don't like Cisco:

First of all it violates my number one rule in investing buy a company/industry where the price of the product(s) they sell is rising.

Cisco's underlying business has been commoditized for some time and constantly subject to margin pressures aka deflation. Stock prices fall in that environment.

Another comment about investing in technology stocks is it is much harder to gauge pricing of products between earnings reports and always requires hefty R&D expenditures to produce a product that has risk of obsolescence in a relatively short period of time.

I also don't like the largest company in the space because it will never have the potential to receive a take over premium in its share price.

GM I am not exactly enthralled by it much either. I usually don't like IPOS unless in the rare situation where it is a leader in its category in a new industry. Another problem is the US government will eventually have to sell its stake in the company so the stock will have distribution pressure. However, one thing I do like about GM is it has a lower cost structure than Ford on US operations with its new contract with the UAW.
silverhalide

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:11 am

GM is a decent short candidate.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions