Has there been a silver lining during this Great Recession?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Has there been a silver lining during this Great Recession?

Postby Ardent Listener » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:31 pm

Perhaps a little off-topic, but do you feel there has been a "silver lining" to this current "Great Recession"? If so, how do you feel this recession has changed us for the better? Or do you feel that unlike the "Great Depression" no real moral lesson has been learned by the general public? :?:
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Re: Has there been a silver lining during this Great Recessi

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Good question.

Change in the general public? Probably not much. I do think that people are less likely to seek health care related services, auto purchases, home purchases, ect…..large ticket stuff. However I do believe that people are more ravenous than ever when it comes to purchasing smaller ticket items such as ipads and fad electronics.

Personally….I dump more of my disposable income into PM and Numismatics than ever before. I still buy expensive foods at the grocery store…ie. oysters, steak, Phillips crab, (ramen noodles for the wife …no kidding she loves them!). I have cut back on buying fancy beer….but I think that’s because I am further from the PA border. I haven’t been on a vacation in close to two years now and I think the Caribbean misses me. Paid down some debt and haven’t taken on any new debt for a while….aka car loans.

I will say that following “the crash” I did notice a decrease in patients at the office that slowly rebounded to the current state. Also patients were opting for less expensive treatment for a while. Bright side of this trend was fewer root canals make for more ramen noodles for the wife. And we all know the formula for that equation. Happy wife = Happy life.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Good question.

Change in the general public? Probably not much. I do think that people are less likely to seek health care related services, auto purchases, home purchases, ect…..large ticket stuff. However I do believe that people are more ravenous than ever when it comes to purchasing smaller ticket items such as ipads and fad electronics.

Personally….I dump more of my disposable income into PM and Numismatics than ever before. I still buy expensive foods at the grocery store…ie. oysters, steak, Phillips crab, (ramen noodles for the wife …no kidding she loves them!). I have cut back on buying fancy beer….but I think that’s because I am further from the PA border. I haven’t been on a vacation in close to two years now and I think the Caribbean misses me. Paid down some debt and haven’t taken on any new debt for a while….aka car loans.

I will say that following “the crash” I did notice a decrease in patients at the office that slowly rebounded to the current state. Also patients were opting for less expensive treatment for a while. Bright side of this trend was fewer root canals make for more ramen noodles for the wife. And we all know the formula for that equation. Happy wife = Happy life.

Just curious what do you consider expensive beer?

Is that seperate from everyday drinkin beer? For instance I bought a 12 of Newcastle today. That's my defination of expensive beer.

Everyday beer is Coors bud etc.

The recession has not reduced me to PBR or Keystone yet
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:48 pm

Thogey wrote:
Just curious what do you consider expensive beer?

Is that seperate from everyday drinkin beer? For instance I bought a 12 of Newcastle today. That's my defination of expensive beer.

Everyday beer is Coors bud etc.

The recession has not reduced me to PBR or Keystone yet

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/th ... te-ipa.htm

Purchased a full case of the stuff back before times were tough. (not cheap at about $6 bucks a bottle but man was it good! and did I ever make it last). Their 90min IPA is still in my top ten beers....and holds the #1 spot of all IPAs I have tasted.

My go-toos are Bud heavy, Yuengling, Guinness, PBR, High life, and a little Sam A from time to time.

I was in a "I must try every beer kick" for 8 years in college.

Will still get a cool new sixer from time to time.......believe it or not I have a cap collection that I started in high school.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Well being my eight years of college was the Air Force Academy and a MMIII LCC (Missile Control Center)

I didn't get a chance to collect fancy beer caps. So I've been playing catch-up ever since

You see Sam-A is my treat beer. I went to that as general table beer and got FAT!

PBR reminds me of North Dakota and will never be able to drink it without tomato juice.

Guiness Draught is actually a very lite beer, calorie wise but not wallet wise.....

Oops hijacked another thread. sorry
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:02 pm

Checked out Dogfish!

That's not beer That's booze!
Thogey

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:15 am

Thogey wrote: For instance I bought a 12 of Newcastle today. That's my defination of expensive beer.

Newcastle Brown Ale? Oh man this kills me!

I went to LA for business last year and was amazed to see a huge Newcastle Brown Ale advert up the side of a tall building!

Over here, it is considered a commoners drink. I liek it though, don't get me wrong! :)

Very curious how certain booze brands are percieved differently worldwide - in Italy (where my fiancee is from) you can buy "Tennants Export" in a lot of places as a top class beer, which is in my view a really, really filthy Scottish lager drunk by tramps and alcoholics (or at least it was when I grew up in Scotland).

Over here, my favourite beers are, ironically, American; stuff like Sam Adams and Brooklyn. The "expensive" imported continental stuff you guy go for are pretty much run of the mill here. :)

Geography I guess.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby stateofmind » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:58 pm

Thogey wrote:Checked out Dogfish!

That's not beer That's booze!

Lol, 18% ABV!
stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:32 pm

Devil Soundwave wrote:
Thogey wrote: For instance I bought a 12 of Newcastle today. That's my defination of expensive beer.

Newcastle Brown Ale? Oh man this kills me!

I went to LA for business last year and was amazed to see a huge Newcastle Brown Ale advert up the side of a tall building!

Over here, it is considered a commoners drink. I liek it though, don't get me wrong! :)

Very curious how certain booze brands are percieved differently worldwide - in Italy (where my fiancee is from) you can buy "Tennants Export" in a lot of places as a top class beer, which is in my view a really, really filthy Scottish lager drunk by tramps and alcoholics (or at least it was when I grew up in Scotland).

Over here, my favourite beers are, ironically, American; stuff like Sam Adams and Brooklyn. The "expensive" imported continental stuff you guy go for are pretty much run of the mill here. :)

Geography I guess.

Yea that amazed me while in Ireland and England. People actually paid more for Bud Light. I was in heaven drinking up all the local brews, didnt want to see a Bud light anywhere near me.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions