Chinese build a 15-story hotel in six days.

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Chinese build a 15-story hotel in six days.

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much doubt that China has the ability to run circles around the US at the rate thngs are going now!

http://www.wimp.com/chinesehotel/

The work crew erected the hotel -- a soundproofed, thermal-insulated structure reportedly built to withstand a magnitude 9 earthquake -- with all prefabricated materials. In other words, a crew of off-site factory workers built the sections, and their on-site counterparts arranged them on the foundation for the Ark project.

Despite the frenetic pace of construction, no workers were injured -- and thanks to the prefab nature of the process, the builders wasted very few construction materials.
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Chinese build a 15-story hotel in six days.

Postby Treetop » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Holy cow!!!!!
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:29 pm

No fair, they worked at night Image Image Image Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby abe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:25 pm

You couldn't pay me to stay at that hotel. Nothing is ever good when it comes to speed in the construction business. Wonder how many minor steps were left out or ignored just because of the wasted time it takes to do it right. Would you fly in a jetliner that was built in 6 hours?
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Kurr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:45 pm

It would take longer than 6 weeks here to do the "enviromental impact study" not to mention zoning boards, permits, working it out with the unions, etc etc etc.

And I do agree with Abe to a point. I saw a big house "McMansion" style go up groundbreaking to finish in 2 weeks. I can almost guarantee the slab has cracked badly and I bet there ain't a "square" corner in the place.

We used to build aluminum sunrooms and pool inclosures and we did that prefab. We built the sections in the shop and theinstallers bolted it together on site, sometimes 2 and 3 story versions.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby Treetop » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:07 pm

If it was indeed built to withstand a magnitude 9 earthquake, then I imagine the speed it was put together is of little consequence, if the site it is on was prepared well.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:27 am

Impressive!

I used to work high rise installing pre-fabricated exterior wall systems. Good luck getting American union workers here to work at that pace. Back in the day, iron workers had a clause in their contract that said they could be off 1/8 of an inch. Seemed it didn't matter what you were erecting, they had the 1/8th fudge clause. If you are out of plumb by an 1/8th of an inch in 9 feet. Imagine how far out of whack that would be in 15 stories! :o :shock: That was a real problem for us pre-fab workers to deal with when we followed them. Same thing for the window installers.

The steel was of less weight and thickness than American structural red iron. I doubt you would get that building to pass BOCA code inspection here.

Still, very impressive.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions