A Bank Run?? Is it possible? What would it mean to you?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

A Bank Run?? Is it possible? What would it mean to you?

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:39 pm

The main stream media is not reporting it but French Activists are calling for Bank run on 7th December 2010...Who knows what this would mean to the US if anything!

Also you might have missed it because it was buried by the media but the FDIC passed a ruling that said they would extend the insurance to unlimited beginning December 31, 2110

November 9, 2010

On November 9, 2010, the FDIC issued a Final Rule implementing section 343 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act that provides for unlimited insurance coverage of noninterest-bearing transaction accounts. Beginning December 31, 2010, through December 31, 2012, all noninterest-bearing transaction accounts are fully insured, regardless of the balance of the account, at all FDIC-insured institutions. The unlimited insurance coverage is available to all depositors, including consumers, businesses, and government entities. This unlimited insurance coverage is separate from, and in addition to, the insurance coverage provided to a depositor’s other deposit accounts held at an FDIC-insured institution.

A noninterest-bearing transaction account is a deposit account where interest is neither accrued nor paid; depositors are permitted to make an unlimited number of transfers and withdrawals; and the bank does not reserve the right to require advance notice of an intended withdrawal.

Please note that Money Market Deposit Accounts (MMDAs) and Negotiable Order of Withdrawal (NOW) accounts are not eligible for this unlimited insurance coverage, regardless of the interest rate, even if no interest is paid on the account.

For more information, please visit: http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial ... 10076.html

July 21, 2010
On July 21, 2010, President Barack Obama signed the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act into law, which, in part, permanently raises the current standard maximum deposit insurance amount (SMDIA) to $250,000. The FDIC insurance coverage limit applies per depositor, per insured depository institution for each account ownership category. Consumers and bankers can find additional information regarding FDIC’s deposit insurance coverage through the use of the FDIC’s Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator (EDIE) and deposit insurance publications located on the FDIC’s website “Are My Deposits Insured?” In addition, they can call the FDIC at 1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342).

For more information, visit: http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/press/2010/pr10161.html

Citigroup Warns Customers It May Refuse To Allow Withdrawals Feb 19 2010

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/citigrou ... z151VQusgb

The image of banks locking their doors to keep customers from making withdrawals during a bank run is what immediately came to mind when we heard that Citigroup was telling customers it has the right to prevent any withdrawals from checking accounts for seven days.

"Effective April 1, 2010, we reserve the right to require (7) days advance notice before permitting a withdrawal from all checking accounts. While we do not currently exercise this right and have not exercised it in the past, we are required by law to notify you of this change," Citigroup said on statements received by customers all over the country.

What's going on? It seems that this is something of an error. The seven day notice policy only applies to customers in Texas, Ira Stoll reports at The Future of Capitalism. It was accidentally included on customer statements nationwide.

"Whatever the explanation, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in Citi," Stoll writes. "But it's hard to believe a bank would be sending out a notice like that on its statements."

UPDATE: According to Stoll, Citi issued a statement saying that it has been required to make this change by Federal regulations--and it no longer sounds like it's limited to Texas:

Update: Citibank has now released the following statement by way of explanation: "When Citibank moved to unlimited FDIC coverage in 2009, we had to reclassify many checking accounts to allow for immediate withdrawals in order to ensure all customers qualified for the additional coverage. When we moved back to standard FDIC coverage with most major banks in 2010, Citibank decided to reclassify those accounts back to make them eligible again for promotional incentives. To do so, Federal Reserve Reg D requires these accounts, called NOW accounts, to reserve the right to require a 7-day notice of withdrawal. We recently communicated this technical requirement to our customers. However, we have never exercised this right and have no plans to do so in the future."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/citigrou ... z151V8i6bS
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: A Bank Run?? Is it possible? What would it mean to you?

Postby agmoose » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:35 pm

Well, in the short term, I'd be OK with it. Anything past that would likely be a TEOTWAWKI situation anyway and wouldn't matter. Although I'd rather live or be able to get elsewhere from where I am now.......but I'm working on that.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:53 pm

Won't make any difference to me. I only keep enough in the bank to pay the bills, all the rest is kept outside. If there's more than $2,000 at home it's converted to silver.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Beau » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:00 pm

beauanderos wrote:Won't make any difference to me. I only keep enough in the bank to pay the bills, all the rest is kept outside. If there's more than $2,000 at home it's converted to silver.

+1
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions