Visual aid for grading Morgans

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Visual aid for grading Morgans

Postby dan53 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:16 pm

http://www.cointalk.com/t115123/

I thought this was cool. Until now, I had never seen A pO01
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Visual aid for grading Morgans

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Very interesting site if you like Morgans thank you for posting it.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Very interesting regardless. Helped me get a better appreciation for the level of detail as a function of grade, and made me better appreciate what a correct original Morgan looked like in MS. The MS68 and MS69 are pretty stunning in their magnified views.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ScottyTX » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:56 pm

Alrighty, nice site added it to the favorites list. I never could quite get the grading down on them buggers but at last I finally catching on. Thanks!!!
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dan53 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:00 am

When I first started collecting Morgans, there was a lot of info I didn't know about. The following is a quote taken from a book I have mentioned earlier called: "Making the grade".....

"Keep in mind the the obverse is by far the most important side of a Morgan dollar. It generally accounts for 75 to 90 percent of the grade".

They say that there are different areas of the obverse that carry different degrees of importance when it comes to being scratch or mark free. A mark on lady liberty's cheek is more damaging to the grade than say a mark on her hair. It says the cheek (and the date) is the most important areas on the Morgan. Having become armed with that knowledge, I set out in my pursuit of clean cheeked lady liberties.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:08 am

Here is another good link for grading. Lists mostly all US coin types.

http://www.pcgs.com/Photograde/#
Last edited by AGCoinHunter on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dan53 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:20 am

Ag, thats a good site. I have it in my favorites.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:52 am

dan53 wrote:Ag, thats a good site. I have it in my favorites.

Me too! :)
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 am

great sites, thank you very much!!!
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics