Could I have hit the lottery?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Could I have hit the lottery?

Postby dan53 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:56 am

Here in town, I belong to a coin club and we hold a monthly auction. I bought a 1961 Franklin Proof. Its slabbed by PCI and it says: PR68 Deep Cameo. I paid $42.00 for it. Prior to the monthly auction date, all members of the club are mailed copies of the auction contents. Before the auction I looked up the value over at numismedia.com. The FMV is listed as.....$1,140.00. Even though PCI wasn't a top tier grading company, how could I not roll the dice on this one? Its got those polished mirror fields. If they missed it by one grade and its really a PR67, then the FMV is $362.50, or if they missed it by two grades and its PR66 then its worth $225.00. This is all relying on numismedia's pricing and I have more research to do. Here's the really big "what if". What if they missed the grade by one and its really a PR69? Then it worth $19,500.00. I can dream can't I?
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Could I have hit the lottery?

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:39 am

If PCI graded it I would bet its no higher than MS-60.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:29 am

AGCoinHunter wrote:If PCI graded it I would bet its no higher than MS-60.

I've bought and cracked out PCI holdered coins... one was 1931-S Penny, MS63 RB... came back PCGS MS64+RB

PCI was better when they were younger, so if it is an old slab, then it might be graded correctly. Proofs are a tough grade, and the Franklin series has but a handful of serious collectors. For someone to pay the Numismedia prices, then the coin has to be immaculate... that is, it needs to be 100% deep cameo, no smudges, no distractions. It has to look as if it came directly from the coin press and into the slab.

You may want to walk it around a coin show and get opinions from dealers regarding the grade, and then decide whether it is worth sending off to PCGS or NGC
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby dan53 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks for the input MH. I have been accessing the auction archives over at heritage and I have seen ranges of $200.00 to $800.00. I am bidding over at GreatCollections and they don't take anything but PCGS, NGC, and ANACS. I have two goals....to learn the ins and outs of selling at GC and having this coin regraded. It would the most economical to do it at ANACS. Any drawbacks to that?
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Market Harmony wrote:
AGCoinHunter wrote:If PCI graded it I would bet its no higher than MS-60.

I've bought and cracked out PCI holdered coins... one was 1931-S Penny, MS63 RB... came back PCGS MS64+RB

PCI was better when they were younger, so if it is an old slab, then it might be graded correctly. Proofs are a tough grade, and the Franklin series has but a handful of serious collectors. For someone to pay the Numismedia prices, then the coin has to be immaculate... that is, it needs to be 100% deep cameo, no smudges, no distractions. It has to look as if it came directly from the coin press and into the slab.

You may want to walk it around a coin show and get opinions from dealers regarding the grade, and then decide whether it is worth sending off to PCGS or NGC

Shhhhhhhh ........ ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to USA Numismatics