Dateless Buffalo from guy behind me in line at Penny Arcade

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Dateless Buffalo from guy behind me in line at Penny Arcade

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:53 am

I was waiting for the teller to finish changing the penny bags at my last dump and the guy behind me in line was pretty talkative and had lots of questions for me so I asked him if he had any old coins in his jar and he said "take a look". Right on the top was a dateless buffalo. I pointed it out and he said "take it" I offered to pay him for it and after insisting, all he would let me give him for it was another nickel. Then he told me to hang out and look at the other stuff he has as he was redeeming his coins. I hung out and scanned his stash, but there was nothing that stood out. As you can imagine, after seeing the buffalo right on the top like that I REALLY had my hopes up for some silver in there.

Tellers at this branch have had a lot of questions about where all my change is coming from so I think it is time to lay low at this branch for a few weeks. I have been bringing 100fv at a time over the last few weeks and I think I might scale it back to the 50-75 range and see if I can drop back under the radar.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Dateless Buffalo from guy behind me in line at Penny Arc

Postby rainsonme » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:16 pm

I always tell the tellers at the dump banks that I am a coin collector. I think it is pretty obvious after the 2nd or 3rd week. I try not to dump more that once a week at any one bank. They have never protested or given me any grief.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:23 am

I Agree with keeping it to once a week per branch. Early on I thought that telling them I was a coin collector would get me cut off. But now it seems like they don't care as long as I don't show up too often. I have told them at a few branches that I am a collector. But I still have my first couple of dump banks that I don't want to change my story on so I am still trying to get rid of all of my grandfathers horde of coins.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rainsonme » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:01 pm

I not only tell them I am a coin collector, I always add that I am interested in ANY old coin, and if they see any that they don't want, save them for me. Occasionally I get some steel pennies or buffalo from a teller who saves it for me. I'd change my story, that my grandfather's collection has gotten me hooked on his hobby of coin collecting, and if you ever see any old coins -------
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics