Is this Worth the Premium?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Is this Worth the Premium?

Postby Thogey » Wed May 11, 2016 10:36 am

This doesn't seem out of line to me. But I don't deal much in graded ASE's
I am really not familiar with this type of product at all.
What do you think?

http://www.govmint.com/2016-1-dollar-1- ... &ad=GE1790
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Is this Worth the Premium?

Postby wolvesdad » Wed May 11, 2016 11:17 am

Ok, first off, despite the deceiving name, this is not the US mint.

Secondly, unless you plan on sending them back to one of the grading companies to be graded with the hopes of getting them graded MS70 - First Day of Issue, .............RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!

Run away as fast as you can, as if the Alien queen is after you to impregnate you!!!!!
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:49 am

Seems quite pricey to me. Graded ASE's are just a gimmick anyone. One day the trend will die and lots of people will lose a ton of money.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun May 15, 2016 2:04 am

highroller4321 wrote:Seems quite pricey to me. Graded ASE's are just a gimmick anyone. One day the trend will die and lots of people will lose a ton of money.

+1 Look up the word gimmick in the dictionary and you will see an MS-70 ASE next to it. Caveat emptor.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Verbane » Sun May 15, 2016 3:36 am

I don't think "First day of Issue" really adds any value to the roll, so we are left to look at the "Gem Uncirculated" Grade. NGC is guaranteeing this roll to be only MS65 or better? In the world of Graded ASE's, anything less than an MS69 on a slab adds very little premium to the price, so I would assume this roll is made up of grading rejects from bulk submissions where the minimum grade was set at MS69. Also, I think we can safely assume that 99.99% of all 2016 ASE's direct from the mint will grade MS65 or better, so we are left with a gimmick...

I would save some money and just buy original mint tubes of 2016's, but watch for how the dealer markets their tubes. Apmex has turned to selling "Mint Direct" labeled tubes, because much of their non-graded stock is rejects from bulk submissions.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics