Stone Mountain Commemorative 1/2 Dollar

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Stone Mountain Commemorative 1/2 Dollar

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:44 pm

I picked one up on HA.com the other day at a PCGS grade I could afford and low ball (not Gem :( ) @ MS 64. I did it because of the current controversy going on over the state park site. Seems the Mount Rushmore-esque carvings are considered raciest symbolism as opposed to a tribute to heroes of the confederate army or symbolic of states rights fight for sovereignty. It easily shows the spectrum of what can be seen through other people's eyes.

Whatever changes happen to the park (if any) the Georgia state legislature must approve. But, over time things change. I've heard/seen of proposals to remove the carvings, put up a tribute to MLK, change the name of the park, etc.. So if the day ever comes, I'll have cast in (stone) coin proof, it used to be different and be rest assured I'll be teaching the young people I work with and my decedents what the truth was.

I wonder if an Executive Order on the day before leaving office could make it happen? That would stir up the "Good Ol' Boys" wouldn't it?

If nothing else the Mountain and coin shows (IMHO) two of the greatest tactically strategic Generals that ever worked together against insurmountable odds in a manner to be considered victorious for which they should be honored. For this reason, I've been wanting to buy the coin for decades. Current controversy gave me the push. This is a coin I'm owning for all the right reasons.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Re: Stone Mountain Commemorative 1/2 Dollar

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:53 pm

I picked up a basic one here a month or two ago for same reasons. Even though the coin represents one vision for the monument and the final monument execution was done differently by someone else, they both represent something that should still be honored as part of our history. This revisionist sickness thst has overtaken the country makes me ill.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Dano » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:12 pm

I have 2 of these beautiful coins that my grandmother gave me 30 years ago. I never found out how she got them (being a Canadian who took up residency in the New England and all!)
These 2 got me hooked on commerative half dollars, and my collection has grown over the years.
Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and people will see there are much more important things to worry about and spend time and resources on than changing a Monument.
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:39 pm

Let it be, If ISIS was here they would blow it up and Mt. Rushmore as well... Old Monuments and Historical places need to exist no matter what some people view them now. I am sure there is lots of businesses that employee a lot of people due to Stone Mountain wonder if they think its offensive!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverflake » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:51 pm

I bought one off a friend of mine a few years back in XF condition. Regardless of what you think of the monument (and it is breathtaking) the coin is beautiful. And thats coming from a former Bostonian.

Keep stacking, and curse the revisionists.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverkid » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:27 am

I have very few "out of my cold dead hands" coins...
This is one of them.
One of my uncles lives down in that area and we used to go to the laser shows there in the summer. Great memories.
silverkid

Return to USA Numismatics