Neutralize copper

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Neutralize copper

Postby gubni » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:22 pm

I recently bought several large cents. They were stored in clear plastic sleeves in a binder. They Coins are turning green where they touched the plastic and generally feel sticky. What's the best way to deal with this?

PS sorry I didn't know what to search for.
"Every man I meet is in some way my superior."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Re: Neutralize copper

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:35 pm

gubni wrote:I recently bought several large cents. They were stored in clear plastic sleeves in a binder. They Coins are turning green where they touched the plastic and generally feel sticky. What's the best way to deal with this?

PS sorry I didn't know what to search for.

The green stuff is called verdigris and it is caused by a chemical reaction with the plastic sleeves they are stored in. The sleeves are probably PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) that has a chemical reaction with most metals it comes into contact with.

First stop is to get NON PVC flips to store the coins in. There isn't really a good way to prevent or erase the corrosion that has occurred, but you can soak them in acetone and see if some of it will come off naturally with the soak. This will strip some of the luster off so if these are higher grade coins don't do that.

Do NOT scrap at the green stuff to get it off, as you will scratch the coin.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Re: Neutralize copper

Postby daviscfad » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:09 pm

I think that product verdicare works pretty good
http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product ... -care.html
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder