1974 Aluminum cent

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

1974 Aluminum cent

Postby ed_vantage17 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:17 pm

So I've been reading about the 1974 aluminum cent. It seems that a few have escaped to places unknown as they were given to members of congress as samples and never returned. If one were to surface, could the owner get it graded (NGC, PCGS, etc.) without having to worry about the Secret Service coming after them or i this an "illegal" coin like the '33 double eagle was considered to be for the longest time.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 1974 Aluminum cent

Postby Thogey » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Why this sudden interest? Do you have one? Hummmmm? Don't be afraid. Show us a picture.

1964 Peace Dollars have the same stigma. There were a couple hundred thousand minted and destroyed. They are illegal to own, if they exist at all.

The 1913 liberty nickels were all owned at one time by the same guy. I think he was an army colonel.

This guy also owned the only sheet of 'inverted ginny' 24 cent airmail stamps. He broke up the sheet and sold them.

It's good to have connections.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:07 pm

It should be illegal, according to Treasury's own regs and the Secret Service's involvement back in the mid-70's attempting to round up the strays. But this was slabbed in 2005:

PCGS also says they have slabbed one example.

For whatever reason, the gov't is not pressing the issue...at the present time. If I had one I'd probably not admit to it until sufficient time passed that a hands-off precedent had been set by these two publicized examples.

As for the '33 double eagle, a recent court ruling upheld that they will remain illegal to own, except for a single specimen that was granted special consideration and sold by Stack's in 2002.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Thogey » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:16 pm

AU-58?

That's funny. Did someone run it through a gumball machine?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Morsecode » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:03 pm

:D

Good point!

But they weighed less than a gram and wouldn't work in vending machines.

Mr. Toven, a retired Capitol policeman who found the coin, was reportedly fond of showing it off, so I presume it got passed around enough to give it that circulated look.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby ed_vantage17 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:04 pm

I read about this AU-58 one on wikipedia.

No I don't have one...(or do I?) ;) . Just interested in odd and unique coins and I ran across this one on the interwebs today.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mhh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:53 pm

According to a magazine article that I read several years ago, the aluminum cents SHOULD be legal to own. They were distributed by the mint director to members of congress and others without a stipulation that they be returned, so they SHOULDN'T be considered government property. But they are NOT legal tender, since they were minted as "samples" with a metallic composition and weight not authorized by Congress.
mhh

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Morsecode wrote:It should be illegal, according to Treasury's own regs and the Secret Service's involvement back in the mid-70's attempting to round up the strays. But this was slabbed in 2005:

PCGS also says they have slabbed one example.

For whatever reason, the gov't is not pressing the issue...at the present time. If I had one I'd probably not admit to it until sufficient time passed that a hands-off precedent had been set by these two publicized examples.

As for the '33 double eagle, a recent court ruling upheld that they will remain illegal to own, except for a single specimen that was granted special consideration and sold by Stack's in 2002.

Leave it up to ICG to muff up a grade......that coin now sets in a PCGS holder MS-62 ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:28 pm

PS: I have 5 ounces of gold for anyone that has an MS authentic one for trade. 8-)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:47 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:PS: I have 5 ounces of gold for anyone that has an MS authentic one for trade. 8-)

New contest :!: :mrgreen:
hobo finds

Postby ScottyTX » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:PS: I have 5 ounces of gold for anyone that has an MS authentic one for trade. 8-)

Ohh wow, How much for a 1992-D Aluminum penny?? I have one of those but I "suspect" it may not be authentic.............
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Ok, that makes sense. I was wondering why both grading services were claiming to have slabbed the Toven piece.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby ed_vantage17 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:13 pm

Well the good news is, if I ever find one it'll be caught by the Ryedale when I do zinc then copper accepts. I'll be sure to check my boxes this weekend and get back to you.

My realcent feedback.

ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rob72830 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:04 pm

Back in the 1800's the mint made lots of patterns of various coins for congress and other big shots that are in private collections today. Seems to me that these aluminum cents should be legal to own. This was a pattern not made for circulation but given out. Double Eagles were stolen. Big difference. I wish I had one of those cents. That would be some expensive aluminum.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Return to USA Numismatics