Today's purchases......

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Today's purchases......

Postby dan53 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:54 pm

I went a little crazy today....

1 - 2010 - $ Gold eagle 1/10 ounce gold. MS-70 $212.00. NGC slab.
1 - 2000 - $10 Platinum eagle 1/10 ounce platinum. MS-70 $248.00. ICG slab.
1- 1898-o - Morgan dollar, MS-65, $184.00. NGC slab.
1- 1886 - Morgan dollar, MS-65, $180.00. NGC slab.
1- 1885 - Morgan dollar, MS-64, $105.00. PCGS slab.

Tomorrow............More gold!
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Today's purchases......

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Question: Do you collect slabbed bullion? If so, why are you buying "ICG" coins which is like buying a picture painted by me instead of by Rembrandt? If not, why are you buying them slabbed?
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:28 am

dan53 wrote:I went a little crazy today....

1 - 2010 - $ Gold eagle 1/10 ounce gold. MS-70 $212.00. NGC slab.
1 - 2000 - $10 Platinum eagle 1/10 ounce platinum. MS-70 $248.00. ICG slab.
1- 1898-o - Morgan dollar, MS-65, $184.00. NGC slab.
1- 1886 - Morgan dollar, MS-65, $180.00. NGC slab.
1- 1885 - Morgan dollar, MS-64, $105.00. PCGS slab.

Tomorrow............More gold!

Dan, a morgan lover. I already like you. Are you working on any sets?

As for the Platinum Eagle in the ICG holder.....I have no problem with that. Bullion is Bullion. Now If your going to be buying morgans in ICG holders......make sure you look the coin over good and give it your own grade. AKA treat it as though it was raw.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am

And by the way, I am going to follow your recomendation and Buy the "making the grade" book. Can't beat having another resource.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby dan53 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 am

I don't have any particular method in my coin purchasing. If I see something I like, I buy it. I do however restrict my purchases to slabbed, unc, coins. Being new, I had problems buying non-slabbed coins that turned out to be cleaned. I can't afford to many mint state, key date morgans so I buy common dates in mint state. The making the grade book is a great tool.

PS: I thought ICG was one of the more refutable grading companies? Am I wrong about that?
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:46 am

ICG is considered second tier. I personally would stay away from them if you are spending money for a graded coin. Being bullion I would make sure you are paying bullion price and not for a overgraded coin.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dan53 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:08 am

As I understand it, there are only two "tier one" grading companies.....NGC and PCGS. I thought ANACS was tier one but found out later they are second tier. I have coins being graded by ANACS. I chose them before I found out they are second tier. I still think ANACS and ICG are acceptable. Its companies like NTC and PGS (third tier)that I would avoid. Also, the morgans I bought are considerably under FMV. I woudn't consider them to be only "slabbed bullion". Just because a coin is a common date doesn't mean it has no numismatic value.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:41 am

The only ICG you got was the plat bullion. You did good on the Morgans with NGC and PCGS. ANACS has a good reputation. I would put them just right under the top two.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:51 am

dan53 wrote:As I understand it, there are only two "tier one" grading companies.....NGC and PCGS. I thought ANACS was tier one but found out later they are second tier. I have coins being graded by ANACS. I chose them before I found out they are second tier. I still think ANACS and ICG are acceptable. Its companies like NTC and PGS (third tier)that I would avoid. Also, the morgans I bought are considerably under FMV. I woudn't consider them to be only "slabbed bullion". Just because a coin is a common date doesn't mean it has no numismatic value.

Exactly. Purchasing a common coin in uncommon grade can be worth the extra money and often costly. Example: I have a 1885-O Morgan, which is about as common as they come, that I would not sell for less than 10xFMV. And I would have to need the money to sell it at that price.

Dan I have a few “extra” PCGS and NGC graded morgans that are not needed for my registry set that I could let go for very fair prices. If you want to get a deal rolling or are interested in what I have. Shoot me a PM.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby barrytrot » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:09 am

You don't need to look at auction realized prices very long to see that the tiers are pretty clear:

There is ONE tier 1: PCGS.

And there is ONE tier 2: NGC.

And there is ONE tier 3: ANACS

There are a lot of tier 4: SEGS/ICG/...

If you have an eye like Rodebaugh buying a coin in tier 2 to tier 4 that is under graded can be a nice income supplement. But it is risky :)
barrytrot

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:17 am

barrytrot wrote:If you have an eye like Rodebaugh buying a coin in tier 2 to tier 4 that is under graded can be a nice income supplement. But it is risky :)

Rodie's problem is he developed his expertise by viewing all his coins under very high magnification. He can detect any infinitesmal flaws and defects that way. The downside is... he feels compelled to fill all the cavities with amalgam in any pitted surfaces he finds :lol:
Last edited by beauanderos on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:36 pm

beauanderos wrote:
barrytrot wrote:If you have an eye like Rodebaugh buying a coin in tier 2 to tier 4 that is under graded can be a nice income supplement. But it is risky :)

Rodie's problem is he developed his expertise by viewing all his coins under very high magnification. He can detect and infinitesmal flaws and defects that way. The downside is... he feels compelled to fill all the cavities with amalgam in any pitted surfaces he finds :lol:

:lol: Ray

And thank you Barry, for making my head bigger. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby daviscfad » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:57 am

ICG is ok i think but they tend to oveergrade there coins from what i hear. I personally dont own any graded by them
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics