grading question

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

grading question

Postby theshoenlebens » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:52 pm

I'm looking at all these coins on various sites. All I see are Gem proof?? Is there a close to standard to that?? I mean I guess, if it was you, would you say a Gem proof is a AU58. PR 61 etc..... What one is closest?
Thanks
Chris
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: grading question

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:28 pm

theshoenlebens wrote:I'm looking at all these coins on various sites. All I see are Gem proof?? Is there a close to standard to that?? I mean I guess, if it was you, would you say a Gem proof is a AU58. PR 61 etc..... What one is closest?
Thanks
Chris

I may be wrong (I am only an amateur coin collector, and have only been collecting for about 5 years), but… I think it's usually just one of those terms that is often more of a marketing ploy than an actual estimation of grade.

I personally would be severely disappointed if I bought a proof that was under 60 years old that was marketed as "Gem" that was below a PF65. If it’s a more modern proof, and marketed as “Gem,” it should likely be PF69+ (as lower grade modern proofs are the exception more-so than the norm).

At least that’s my anonymous guy on the internet opinion.

-Stu
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:07 pm

theshoenlebens wrote:I'm looking at all these coins on various sites. All I see are Gem proof?? Is there a close to standard to that?? I mean I guess, if it was you, would you say a Gem proof is a AU58. PR 61 etc..... What one is closest?
Thanks
Chris

Good eye Chris...and good question

Actually Gem does have a grade to it as do other terms. Be careful though, folks toss those terms around on eBay without knowing exactly what they mean; or the seller may just be a piss poor grader.

Gem Uncirculated = Solid MS-65
Choice Uncirculated = Solid MS-63
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby theshoenlebens » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
Yup, these coins are modern and not silver. I've been looking at some ikes and such and for not much (2X FV or much less) of the coins value I thought about getting some. I figure if nothing else they are really cool looking and they might get the the kids into it.
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:15 pm

theshoenlebens wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.
Yup, these coins are modern and not silver. I've been looking at some ikes and such and for not much (2X FV or much less) of the coins value I thought about getting some. I figure if nothing else they are really cool looking and they might get the the kids into it.

Nothing wrong with collecting coins because they look cool and you like them.......heck thats what its all about......and whatever it takes to get the kid's minds on collecting rather than spending I am all for.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:48 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Good eye Chris...and good question

Actually Gem does have a grade to it as do other terms. Be careful though, folks toss those terms around on eBay without knowing exactly what they mean; or the seller may just be a piss poor grader.

Gem Uncirculated = Solid MS-65
Choice Uncirculated = Solid MS-63

It's a damned good day when I have the pleasure of learning something new.

Thank you Rodebaugh.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics